cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No inline copy for SLP?

David_McMullin
Level 6
I am at 6.5.3.1 NetBackup Enterprise, running on Solaris 10, backing up a mixture of windows and unix clients, as well as several database agents.

All my backups go to a VTL with a one week retention, and copied to tape via SLP.

some backups get multiple copies, so the SLP has 3 steps: 

backup to VTP
copy 1
copy 2

Why are the copies not done inline?

I should have the option of loading the VTL tape and writing to two destinations at once - and it does not do this.

It looks like I would have to write two at once to the VTL, and then duplicate each of those. Which would increase my storage requirements on the VTL.

Anyone have an idea of a better way to get the data to two tapes with different retentions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David_McMullin
Level 6
Looks like this is resolved in 6.5.4

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Why are the copies not done inline?   I believe they should be able to so long as NetBackup determines the resources are available.  Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure where in your configuration we'd need to look to check that out.  You may want to open a case with Support - or you can post some more info here and maybe somebody who knows more than I do can chime in.  :)

Haig_Korikian
Not applicable
Employee Accredited

David,
I got the following from product management.

SLPs will automatically make in-line copies (both backup and duplication) by default where the criteria for in-line copy (that both copies are being written by the same media server) is met.

Note that as with regular in-line copy, where in-line copy is possible the SLP will wait until all the necessary resources are available before starting the job.  If one copy fails during the job the other will run to completion and the failed copy will be handled as a separate, requeued duplication job.

So, it seems like it should work depending on resource availability.  I would agree with CRZ above that we probably need to open a case with support to take a look at this.  Hopefully it's simply a configuration or resource related issue and we can quickly get this turned around. 

I will keep digging around from my end in case I come across something else.
Haig

David_McMullin
Level 6
Looks like this is resolved in 6.5.4