cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No logs under bpbkar

kat1234
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi all, I got status 1 when doing catalog backup which store in a media server's staging. When I look into the bpbkar directory in master server, I find it didn't generate any log. I have enable the logging to 5 and also try with "bpbkar32 -nocont c:\ > nul 2>temp.f" on windows(master) but it return to command prompt immediate and still nothing under bpbkar. Can someone help me resolve it....
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

D:\alternate_db ?

Have your catalogs been moved?

If so did they also move your logs directory somewhere else?

Take a look at two places:

\program files\veritas\netbackup\nblog.conf (looking for the Default.LogDirectory=C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs entry)

HKLM\Software\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\ where there is a string value named Log Directory - this shows the logs directory path

Depending on the settings of these depends where the bpbkar log folder will produce its logs

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please show us where exactly you have created bpbkar folder? Post screenshot.

It is either in the wrong place or typo error in the name.

Please also double-check your bpbkar command. It should be as follows to test backup of C:\ (You may want to add sub-directory to only include catalog folders):

bpbkar32 -nocont C:\ 1> nul 2> nul 

This command will immediately return to the prompt. Check Task Manager for running bpbkar32 process. Wait till process completes/terminates.

Now check bpbkar folder. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH17541

kat1234
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have take the screen shot:

bpbkar32.exe need time to start? I have waited for several minutes but can't find bpbkar32.exe and there is not backup job now. Do I need to start some job on NBU?

ankmah
Level 3

please share output of below command.

vssadmin list writers.

this may cause bpbkar process.

Thanks

Ankit

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

what is the size of bpbkar32.exe.

there is a possilbity that bpbkar got corrupted and not working fine..

please compare the bpbkar32.exe, from the other working server4 which is having the same netbackup version.

if you find the difference just replace it with the working server bpbkar32.exe and try again.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

D:\alternate_db ?

Have your catalogs been moved?

If so did they also move your logs directory somewhere else?

Take a look at two places:

\program files\veritas\netbackup\nblog.conf (looking for the Default.LogDirectory=C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs entry)

HKLM\Software\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\ where there is a string value named Log Directory - this shows the logs directory path

Depending on the settings of these depends where the bpbkar log folder will produce its logs

Hope this helps

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

According to your second screen shot, it has already run and completed, so you shouldn't expect to see it in the Task Manager.

I think Nagalla is on the right track - check the bpbkar32.exe file itself on the client - make sure it isn't empty or corrupted.

watsons
Level 6

Windows 2008? The command prompt you open to run the bpbkar32 test, did you "run as administrator"? 

It might not be able to write to the bpbkar log folder if permission is denied... 

kat1234
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I found out what's happen. In the regedit, the entry of "Log Directory" defined as D drive, while the BP_LOGS_NAME define as C drive. It makes some logs (e.g. bpdbm) generate in C: but bpbkar log generate in D: Thanks guys :)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Since Mark has pointed you in the right direction, I have moved the solution to his post.