cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to add a new DXi to my enviroment

jmms
Level 2

To start off I am new at this backup world so I am sure that I am doing something incorrect but I am at the end of the rope so thanks everyone for your help already.  

I have a new Quantum DXi 4700 that I  need to set up in my enviroment I have tried everything that I know to get it to work but to no luck.  when I go into set up the DXi storage unit in Netbackup I get the following error: (it thinks real long and hard then returns error)

Status = Big red dot with white X

Performing Tasks = Creating storage server XXXXXX_10.10.XX.XX

Details = cannot connect on socket.

RDSM has encountered an issue with an STS

CORBA exception: getStorageServerInfo

thats it I verified that I have all the ports open 3095, 3096, 3097, 3098, 3099, 3100, 3101, 3102, 10001, 10002.  and of the ports I only see traffic on 3095, 3096, 3102, and 10002 the rest see nothing.  I have verified that alll the involved items, the Master, Media server, and the DXi all have an entry in dns, and that I can ping all of them from boht the master and the media (I do not know of a way to ping from the DXi to anything.)  Any Help would be great.

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you

1. Created the user for the DXI to use by NetBackup
  2. Installed the OST plugin on the media server you're going to connect the DXI

If you have, run the nbdevconfig command from the media server to create the storage server.

If you haven't, do that first, then run nbdevconfig.

Instructions are here www.quantum.com/iqdoc/doc.aspx?id=7905

If you run into more issues we'll review the NetBackup logs.

Marianne
Level 6

Can you confirm that correct plug-in version was installed and that nbrmms (NetBackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service) was restarted?

Does the plugin show up in this command output?

bpstsinfo -pi 
(in ....netbackup\bin\admincmd)

Please follow the manual that Riaan linked in his post.

The Storage Server name in NBU must match the Storage Server name on the DXi.

Example of Storage Server name :

Important: When you create an OST device in NetBackup, the format of the “Server name:” required in the dialog must be in the form: <OST Server_DXi FQDN>.
An IP address can be used in place of the DXi’s Fully Qualified Domain Name.
For example, if in the step above, a Storage Server called “OSTserver1” was created on a DXi named “QuantumDXi1.mycompany.com” the server name must be specified as OSTserv-er1_QuantumDXi1.mycompany.com
The “Logon account:” username and password must be the same as the OST user credentials created on the DXi management console.

jmms
Level 2

Thank you so much for your response, to answer you question yes we did create the user for the dxi to be used by the netbackup, then we did do the install for the OST plugin on the media server.  Did the nbdevconfig and still received the erro RDSM has encountered and issue with the STS CORBA exception: GetStorageServerInfo failed to create storage server xxxxxxxxxxxxx, cannot connect on socket.

jmms
Level 2

Marianne I have seen many of your posts and you have seen many of the issues I am having so thank you so much for the response.  Yes teh plugin shows up in the command output:

Plugin Name: libstspiQuantum.dll
       Prefix: Quantum
       Label: Quantum OST plugin
       Build Version: 11
       Build Version Minor: 1
       Operating Version: 11
       Vendor Version: 3.0.1.2841 Quantum plugin (Wind

Did just as suggested and still received the same error.  I tried with the IP and the fully qualified domain name.  and still no luck.  I have all are the same as the document but still fails:

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbdevconfig -creatests -storage_
server rxxxxx1_10.xx.xx.xx -stype Quantum -media_server xxx-xxxxxxx.xx.xx.com
l -st 9
RDSM has encountered an issue with an STS CORBA exception: getStorageServerInfo
Failed to create storage server rchost1_10.10.96.55, cannot connect on socket

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbdevconfig -creatests -storage_
server rxxxxx1_xxx-xxxxxxxxx.xx.xx.com -stype Quantum -media_server xxx-xxxxxxxx.xx.xx.com -st 9
RDSM has encountered an issue with an STS CORBA exception: getStorageServerInfo
Failed to create storage server rchost1_rch-dxiost1.na.jm.com, cannot connect on
 socket

RiaanBadenhorst

You can check in the unified logs (OID 202) for further clues, but i'd also make sure that your DXI can resolve the hostname of the media server via hosts file or dns.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Technote mentions Data Domain though name resolution is common issue.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000010663

Solution

Added hostname and IP address for media server to local hosts file on the appliance.