cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of Robots

HeadOffice
Level 3

HI All,

1) I recently installed Netbackup 7.6.1. The company was using 7.0 on Win Srv 2003 prioir. How can I export the catalog fom 7.0 and import to 7.6.1.

2) We are using MSL 4048 with two drives LTO-4. Is it normal that I have one robot?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

1) I recently installed Netbackup 7.6.1. The company was using 7.0 on Win Srv 2003 prioir. How can I export the catalog fom 7.0 and import to 7.6.1.

if you r win server 2003 is 64 bit R2, then you need to upgrade your netbackup in win server to 7.6.0.1 first and then need to migrate the data base as a part of hardware refresh.

if your win server 2003 is not in supported version of 7.6 ( if it is 32 bit or SP1,) then you need to downgrade the you new 7.6.1 to 7.0 and perfrom the catalog recovery then upgrade to 7.6

Netbackup should be in the same version.

please follow the guidelince in below tech note.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77447

2) We are using MSL 4048 with two drives LTO-4. Is it normal that I have one robot?

yes it is normal, 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla

if you r win server 2003 is 64 bit R2, then you need to upgrade your netbackup in win server to 7.6.0.1 first and then need to migrate the data base as a part of hardware refresh.

if your win server 2003 is not in supported version of 7.6 ( if it is 32 bit or SP1,) then you need to downgrade the you new 7.6.1 to 7.0 and perfrom the catalog recovery then upgrade to 7.6

Netbackup should be in the same version.

please follow the guidelince in below tech note.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77447

yes it is normal, 

HeadOffice
Level 3

Thanks RamNagalla. 

The 7.0 server is corrupt and most servises wont run. Hence 7.6. is a new installation on a new server. 

Do I need the catalog for all the tapes that were backed up in that version?

RamNagalla

Do you have the good catalog backup for 7.0 server?, you need to have the catalog backup handy, if not you need to repair the 7.0 server and get good catalog backup

below is the highlevel steps

1) install 7.0 in new server( same version as old server)

2) Do the catalog recovery using the old server catalog backup to new sever

3) upgrade new server to 7.6 after successfull recovery 

HeadOffice
Level 3

Does this mean without the catalog, all the tapes are useless?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per Ram's excellent posts - there is no way to import or migrate NBU catalogs between different versions.

The catalog can only be 'migrated' as part of a normal NBU upgrade.

Trying to go the correct route to upgrade NBU and migrate to new hardware will not be possible if your new server has a different name and you have already started doing backups.

If this is the case, you have 2 choices - 

1. Start importing tapes from NBU 7.0 environment  (phase 1 & 2)

2. Get a Symantec Consulting partner to merge the 2 master servers. 

How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

About the actual reason for this post - number of robots - NBU config should match what you physically have:
1 robot and 2 drives.
So, yes. As per Ram's post - perfectly normal.