Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONLINE SQL BACKUP ERROR CODE 2

rajkumar3314
Level 3
Certified

Hi All,

One of the Online sql backup in our enviroment is failing with the error code 2 for one particular server but the file system backup is running successfully for the same server and other online sql backups are fine with the same master server.

Master Server & Media server is same with Windows 2008 R2 Ent

Client Server : Windows 2003

Netbackup Version

Master : 7.1.0.4

Client : 7.1.0.1

Here i have attached the BPCD & BPBRM logs for your reference

Also here is the batch file .

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

SQL Server DB backup works almost as same with SQL Server native backup except SQL Server put backup data into Virtual Device Interface(VDI). I'm not sure what happens when both backup are used, but i believe both works if you provide correct device to SQL Server at restore.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Please post job detail in Activity Monitor and client's dbclient log.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We need to see client's dbclient log.

Comms is a bit different for database backups:

With normal filesystem backups, the media server initiates connection to client, client connects back and start sending data to media server. 

With database backups, the client intiates a connection to bprd (via pbx - port 1556) on the master server. The master server needs to be able to resolve the client's IP address from the connection request to a valid hostname that matches the client name in the policy exactly.

dbclient log will tell us if this connection to the master server is successful and if something else is causing the failure.

rajkumar3314
Level 3
Certified

Hi All.

Found the issue, the databases are offline when we tried to backup and now the backups is getting successful

Thanks for the post

Can someone tell me how exactly the online database backup is working in netbackup.

I heard from my friend that if you take both SQL native & netbackup online backup we won’t be able to restore the database successfully, this because the pointer will get changed.

I don’t understand what actually he said

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

SQL Server DB backup works almost as same with SQL Server native backup except SQL Server put backup data into Virtual Device Interface(VDI). I'm not sure what happens when both backup are used, but i believe both works if you provide correct device to SQL Server at restore.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We have customers doing both types of backups.
Just check timing - these 2 backups cannot run at the same time.

Only one of these backup types should backup and delete transaction logs.
The other backup should only backup transaction logs and not delete.

Please remember to close off this discussion by selecting a post that pointed you in the right direction and Mark as Solution. Else, Request split solution if more than post helped you.