cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OST and storage server creation

simpsioni
Level 3

Hi,

Im trying to create an OST disk pool and although the storage server is created successfully with the following command:

nbdevconfig -creatests -storage_server <datadomain_name> -stype DataDomain -media_server <media_server_name>

but it fails when tried to add the media server as a data mover with the following command:

tpconfig -add -storage_server<same data domain name as before> -stype DataDomain -sts_user_id <user> -password <password>

I have logged straight into the data domain with the supplied credentials and it gets in fine. I've checked its not using a mix of FQDN and shortnames by making everything local, even on the data domain, ive restarted nbrmms on the media server a few times so I'm bit at a loss to what to try next. The error I get is:

Failed to open server connection to type DataDomain server scodd1: Error = 2060046
Authorization failed for OpenStorage server scodd1

Im using netbackup 7.0.1, DataDomain OS version is 4.9 and the OST plugin is version 2.5.1.0-326737. My media server is RHEL5. Could it be that I'm using too new a version of the OST plugin? I find it odd its happy to create the storage server but wont pass credentials. There was nothing I could see in the release notes to say the version of the OST plugin (which is the newest stable release) wouldnt work with 4.9 but maybe im wrong. Does any have experience of these versions?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

DD Boost plugins 2.5 does not support DD OS piror to 5.1. You have to use DD Boost plugin of previous version. Check Data Domain Boost Compatibility Guide in my.datadomain.com.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Take a look at a similar thread - tuned out to be DNS and host names - resolves with Hosts file entries all round: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-register-data-domain-storage-server Though in that case it didnt get past the first part even. Hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do you have this Data Domain manual? 

OST_Admin_759-0005-0001.pdf 

It contains step-by-step instructions on configuring DD with NBU. This doc was written for NBU 6.5 where everything had do be done from cmd. You may want to see if newer docs are available on DD web site:

https://my.datadomain.com/documentation. 

This doc recommends hosts entries on DD and media servers:

To avoid the need for frequent DNS lookups, add every media
server host/IP address to the Data Domain system using the
net hosts add ipaddr {host | "alias host"}...  command.

To avoid DNS lookup for every OST job, also add the Data
Domain system IP address into the media server’s /etc/hosts file.

The NBU HCL does not give exact DD OS and plug-in version combination that is supported -  see http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76495
maybe discuss with DD reseller?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

DD Boost plugins 2.5 does not support DD OS piror to 5.1. You have to use DD Boost plugin of previous version. Check Data Domain Boost Compatibility Guide in my.datadomain.com.

simpsioni
Level 3

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is a version incompatability. Thanks again