cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OST - optimized duplication - whole image copy feature

pgc200
Level 2

Hello

There is a not-very-well documented feature known as "whole image copy" for optimized duplication. Can someone explain how this feature works? or point me to online documentation / articles / tech tips etc.

thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If what my research shows is correct, Whole Image Copy = stsp_copy_image aka stsp_copy_extent aka copy_extent which I believe is what is already being done?

Secondarily, these are options for the OST writer's themselves, not for users. 

This would be from documentation that OST vendors would have themselves for writing said plugins and is not something that can be changed within NetBackup.

The question does come back to "Where are you seeing 'Whole Image Copy'?"

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

hi,

Try to understand your topic. As i'm not sure what "whole image copy" means?

Do you mean that you want to know how optimized deduplication works when duplicating one backup image to destination?

If so, see the following link:.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6466 (netbackup dedup guide(read from page 103), it describes how optimized deduplication works.)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO89223 (Configuring optimized duplication to an OpenStorage device within the same NetBackup domain)

If misunderstanding, please ignore this reply.

Thanks

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are you maybe referring to Direct Copy that is available for Quantum or NDMP direct copy which is available for some VTL devices?

pgc200
Level 2

Hi

I understand the premise of optimized deduplication. I don't understand how the feature, or setting of "whole image copy" effects it. It is not the same thing as Direct Copy (Quantum) or NDMP direct copy.

thank you

RiaanBadenhorst

We don't understand what you mean by this term. Where did you see it?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
It seems it is so 'not very well documented' that half of Symantec don't know about it ... I'm wondering if this is a term that somene has invented, I can't find any trace of it, and have never heard of it. It doesn't make sense, 'whole image copy' - we're not in the habit of copying part of an image, so every copy is 'whole image'. As already asked, where did you hear about it, can you post a link.

mnolan
Level 6

If what my research shows is correct, Whole Image Copy = stsp_copy_image aka stsp_copy_extent aka copy_extent which I believe is what is already being done?

Secondarily, these are options for the OST writer's themselves, not for users. 

This would be from documentation that OST vendors would have themselves for writing said plugins and is not something that can be changed within NetBackup.

The question does come back to "Where are you seeing 'Whole Image Copy'?"

pgc200
Level 2

it's new with 7.5 or greater.

create the following touch file:

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/OPT_DUP_WHOLE_IMAGE_COPY

mnolan
Level 6

Do you have a source? I do not find anything on an initial search of our documentation for "OPT_DUP_WHOLE_IMAGE_COPY".

pgc200
Level 2

Indirectly ... you've answered my question. There is no official documentation from Symantec. As you mentioned ...

"Secondarily, these are options for the OST writer's themselves, not for users"

... this may be more in the realm of the OST partner program which makes sense. Thanks for trying.

Marianne

Your post looks like a copy & paste from 'somewhere'.

Please share the source of your information?
Or in what context the advice was given to you?

scaud
Level 2

Hey Paul (pgc), long time no see. Smiley Happy

A bit delayed but, while looking for information on another subject, I saw this in the NBU 7.7 HCL:-

"Whole image Optimized Duplication uses the storage unit's Maximum fragment size to transfer an entire NetBackup image fragment in a single operation". OST function abbreviation is WI_Opt_Dup. It is separate to usual Opt_Dup, which uses 256KB chunks.

Just in case you were still wondering...

Marianne

@pgc200 last posted on the old Connect forum on 07-23-2014. 
Seems he is no longer around.