cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offhost Backup.

jayaram226
Level 4

Hi all,

In my environment, we have a Offhost Backup running, due to a failure we encountered last week, we came to know that particular Backup was not a Offline but an Offhost Backup.

Can anybody pls brief me on Offhost Backup.

I have a rough idea..but the concept is not clear.

Thanks and Regards,

.Jayaram Balasubramanian.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not sure why you feel you needed to change this:

Snapshot Method:   OS_Name_COPY

There is nothing unique about your company in a supported snapshot method.

You have given us nothing to work with and therefore nothing we can do to help or clarify things for you.

All I can suggest at this point in time is to go through the Snapshot Client guide and search for the snapshot method. You have not told us which NBU version, which makes it difficult to point you to the correct version of the guide. Please select 'Handy NBU links' in my signature and from there select the link to documentation for your version of NBU. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Will_Restore
Level 6

See this older thread by another Jaya

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/offhost-backup

Marianne
Level 6

Please show us your policy config:

bppllist <policy-name> -L

There are many types of offhost backups. If we can see what your policy is doing, we can refer you to the correct manual - either Snapshot Client or VMware.Or maybe even combination of database agent and Snapshot Client.

jayaram226
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Since I cannot share much of the informations of the policy, My Offhost policy is for Netbackup SAP.

I'm giving some of the information from the bpplinfo.

Policy Type:            SAP

Snapshot Method:   OS_Name_COPY

Perform Offhost Backup:         yes
Backup Copy:                    0
Use Data Mover:                 no
Data Mover Type:                -1
Use Alternate Client:           yes

sorry about sharing a few information, if any thing else needed in specific please let me know.

Thanks.

Thanks and Regards

.Jayaram Balasubramanian.

Will_Restore
Level 6

OK, from the Symantec NetBackupfor SAP Administrator's Guide

(Optional) Select Perform off-host backup.

By default, the client that hosts the database performs the backup. If you

want to reduce the I/O processing load on the client that hosts the database,

specify an alternate client to perform the backup.

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Jaya,

Some time, to reduce load on client, we will move data from the client to another machine ( in our case, copy the data ( SAN volumes) and mount another client once SNAP completed ( As a split and mirror method) . But here lot of things are involved. zones Client SAN volumes on off-host client ( as 3pc.conf file).. etc

Can you please check what is Alternate client, is the client is up? and what error  are you getting. what type snap are you using. 

Use Alternate Client:           yes

Please provide bppllist <policy> -L as Marianne requested. In that you can change name of policy and some other confident names, but don't change the output.

Marianne
Level 6

Not sure why you feel you needed to change this:

Snapshot Method:   OS_Name_COPY

There is nothing unique about your company in a supported snapshot method.

You have given us nothing to work with and therefore nothing we can do to help or clarify things for you.

All I can suggest at this point in time is to go through the Snapshot Client guide and search for the snapshot method. You have not told us which NBU version, which makes it difficult to point you to the correct version of the guide. Please select 'Handy NBU links' in my signature and from there select the link to documentation for your version of NBU.