cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old TIR info file is missing from client: can it be restored or recreated?

Glo
Level 4

Hello Friends,

RHEL 6.5 NetBackup 7.6 server, RHEL 6.6 NetBackup 7.6 client.

On January 12 this year I created a policy with "Collect true image restore information" and "with move detection" enabled. The initial (differential incremental) backup ran successfully, but I didn't actually see the TIR info files on the client. However, I have seen other TIR info files there, belonging to other policies.

Yesterday, when my new policy started its second (also differential incremental) backup, it complained that its old TIR file was missing. In fact, all TIR info files have disappeared from the client. Could NetBackup have removed them? I haven't replaced the client software.

Is there any way to restore or recreate those files? I was not backing them up.

I'm not the only sys admin on this client, so somebody else could have deleted or backed up my TIR info files, but I haven't asked around yet.

Thanks,

Glo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can't restore a TIR file - recreating is the only way to handle a damaged TIR file.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

TIR is kept for 1 day by deffault

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO105675

Glo
Level 4

Ah, thank you! So the TIR referred to in the Clean-up section of the Master Server Properties is the TIR info that was created on the client, and I should have kept it for at least as long as I keep my full backups.

Glo
Level 4

So is there any way to restore or recreate the TIR info on the client from what was written to my single NetBackup image? This one happens to be on tape, but I could practice with an backup image on disk.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can re-create the TIR file by running a new backup.

If the TIR file is missing (or damages, Netbackup will run a incremental backup as a full. The activity monitor job text will also display this as a informational message 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH84583 ( as time of writing Symantec web page if defunc)

Glo
Level 4

Is creating a new backup image the only way to create TIR info file on disk? I can't get it from my existing backup image?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Gio,

Sorry for the late reply. What I understand from this TIR stuff is this. It will create some TIR info on the client which it uses to determine what the FS looked like on a specific date. It then also add more information in the catalog about this view of the FS at for that date (catalog increases more than with normal backups).

Then finally there is the configuration to say how long to keep the TIR information in the catalog (and probably the copy on disk). Since is really focused on incremental backups and what the FS looked like at a specific date (Fulls just grab everything so what it looked like is what's in the backup) I would think that one would increase the value to keep TIR to 7 days since that is the time between weekly Full backups.

After 7 days it cleans the catalog (and client) of the TIR info.

Make sense?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can't restore a TIR file - recreating is the only way to handle a damaged TIR file.

Glo
Level 4

Yup, thanks!