cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older Versions of Netbackup

Tom16
Level 2

I am trying to upgrade my Netbackup 7.5.0.4 master/media server from a 32-bit version running on Windows 2003 SP2 to Netbackup version 8.0 running on a 64-bit Windows 2012 server.

In order to do this I need to first upgrade my 32-system to 7.6.1 and then install maintenance release 7.6.0.4.  I am unable to find the software to do this on the Veritas website.  Does anyone know where I can find this? 

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Previous versions can be downloaded from the same website where you get the current 8.0 software from: myveritas.com.

Link to Master Download list can be found in Handy NBU links in my signature.

PS: You cannot install an older patch (7.6.0.4) on top of newer version 7.6.1.

Thanks for pointing out my error.  According to Veritas Tech Support I need Netbackup Server 7.6 for Windows x86 and then the 7.6.0.4 patch for Windows x86.  My Veritas Tech Support Engineer found a link for the 7.6.0.4 patch but neither of us has found a link to Netbackup Server 7.6 for Windows x86.  It is not on the Veritas download site. Only the 64-bit version is there.

Thanks

Marianne
You have unfortunately waited too long to migrate and upgrade.

If I remember correctly (you can check OS Compatibility guides), NBU 7.5 was the last version to support 32-bit OS. This means that you will need a 64-bit W2008 server as intermediate step....

Yeah, this may take some special intervention.  Since 7.6 is EOSL, I don't think we're making it available on the entitlements site any more.  7.6.0.4 was a full binary release IIRC, and those are only available from behind our authenticated system, never on the open Internet.  I could be wrong about this, but if it's not there when you log into my.veritas.com and look at your entitlements and downloads, you're going to want to work with your sales team to see what they can do to get you the bits.  

I can't guarantee they can help with it, either.  The 7.6 February EOSL has been out there for a long time, so I'm not sure how flexible we can be with getting the bits.  

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Marianne

I have just checked my own entitlements - 7.6 and even 7.5 still appear under 'Previous Versions'. 

Seeing that @Tom16 will need Windows 2008 server as intermediate step, he will need to migrate to W2008 using the same 7.5 version and patch level as on current W2003 server.

He might as well upgrade straight from 7.5 on W2008 to 8.0 and then migrate to W2012 server. 

Be sure to read 8.0 Release Notes, Upgrade Guide and Installation Guide to ensure all prep work is done and all requirements are met!

Agree with Marianne about going to 8.0.  

I'd also suggest getting that software downloaded, as it is my understanding the access to downloads is going to change (thought it already had).  

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

I see 7.5 in my entitlements, but I cannot figure out how to extract them.  It consists of two files with no extensions. I have tried adding .zip to them but they will not extract.  Do you have any experience with these weird files? See attached .jpg.

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

I'm pretty sure you have to combine the files with a copy /b so something like this

copy /b NetBackup_7.5_Win_zip.1of2+NetBackup_7.5_Win_zip.2of2 NetBackpu_7-5_Win.zip 

That should get you one .zip file that is extractable.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Thanks Charles.  That did it.

Regards,

Tom