cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Omit a drive letter along with ALL_LOCAL DRIVES

sclind
   VIP   

When I run BMR restores I see Netbackup submits some restores saying to restore \C\ but also saying !\X\BMR\. Is this a NOT operator?

What I'd like to do is have the backup directives for a standard windows server be ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES but I want to omit the S: drive.

I have tried !S:\ but this fails.

Does Netbackup have a way to omit a drive letter for a server?  I cant put in in the exclude list because I am going to setup a separate policy to backup the S: drive.

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes. It is called Exclude List. You add it under Host Properties -> Clients -> (Client-name) -> Windows Client -> Exclude List.

sclind
   VIP   

If I add S:\ to the exclude list for this client and then create a separate backup policy to backup the S:\ drive wont it be omitted there also?

areznik
Level 5

You can create policy specific exclude lists that will only be honored for one policy. 

In the BAR gui go to "NetBackup Client Properties" and go to the "Exclude List" tab, then click "New List" and fill out the name of the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES policy (leave "Schedule" blank to apply to all schedules), then add S:\ to that list. Now your ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES policy will skip S:\ but any other policy will still pick it up. 

HOWEVER - Be careful! If you ever move this server to a new policy you will start picking up S:\ again, this has happened to me more times than I can count, to the point where policy specific exclude lists are my last resort. 

sclind
   VIP   

This sounds interesting!  Let me try this.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you have 'Allow multiple data streams ' in Policy Attributes, then add S:\* to Exclude List. If not, then S:\ should do it. Please create bpbkar log folder on the client to troubleshoot any issues with Exclude List.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I have only seen the "NOT" operator being used in BMR operation.

However you can also use the NOT operator when performing restore using bprestore, see technonte below:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000022366

BMR operation normal restore "operating system" disk and not the data disks. It's a option when performing "prepare to restore" also to include data disks.