cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On-demand SQL backups

BirtyB
Level 4

Hi all, I wonder if someone can help, I'm sure there is a way to accomplish this!!

We only use vmware policies with application protection to backup our entire server estate.  DBAs, along with all other server admins have the ability to perform file / folder / SQL restores using either Ops-Center or the BAR client.  This all works beautifully.  However...

Our SQL DBA's regularly perform SQL backups using SQL Management Studio before carrying out any work on a given DB.  Is there not a way for the SQL DBA's to perform ad-hoc backups using NBU instead?  These DBAs do not have access to any of the Master / Media servers or policies.  All servers have the BAR client installed along with the SQL client.  As said, the DBA's are already familiar with using these clients to perform restores but can they not also use them to perform backups?

I am aware that under the File menu of the "NetBackup Database Extension - GUI" there is an option to "Backup SQL Server objects" however I'm unsure of what I should enter under the "NetBackup policy" field.  Currently it just says <any>.  When I select a DB and select Launch immediately it appears within the "View Status" windows but fails with error 31073. 

====================================================

OPERATION BACKUP
OBJECTTYPE FILE
OBJECTNAME "CrestronFusion_EnergyGroup1"
DATABASE "CrestronFusion"
SQLHOST "ORION-DATA"
NBSERVER "NBU-MEDIA.DOMAIN.CO.UK"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6
BLOCKSIZE 7
NUMBUFS 2
ENDOPER TRUE

ERR - Error in CDBbackrec::CDBbackrec: 6.
    CONTINUATION: - The system cannot find the file specified.
ERR - Error in VxBSASetEnv(BSA_SERVICE_HOST): 6.
    CONTINUATION: - The handle used to associate this call with a previous VxBSAInit() call is invalid.
INF - Results of executing <C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\dbext\mssql\temp\__14_45_55_532_00.bch>: 
<0> operations succeeded. <1> operations failed.
INF - The following object(s) were not backed up successfully.
INF - CrestronFusion.CrestronFusion_EnergyGroup1

====================================================

These jobs also never show up in the NBU Activity monitor.  I'm guessing there needs to be a corresponding NBU backup policy for these jobs but remember the DBA does not have access to the NBU server.  Is there a way we can configure NBU is such a way that would allow a DBS to perform an ad-hoc DB backup via the SQL client.  Perhaps we (the NBU admins) would be able to control the target storage & retention so that the backup copies expire after x period of time also.

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes. You need a policy on the master. It must be type MS-SQL, with the Default-Application schedule with 24x7 backup window and no Automatic schedule. Add the SQL server name in Clients tab and nothing in Backup Selection. I have never seen this keyword in a SQL backup script : OBJECTNAME "CrestronFusion_EnergyGroup1" I am used to keywords such as SQLINSTANCE (or something like that ) and DATABASE. What happens if you remove this line? Please also ensure that the NBSERVER points to the master server - not a media server. Verify that the user logging on has the required SQL rights (obviously not a problem with dba's ).