cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opscenter Server DB logs

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I posted this same question under the "Opscenter" forum but I thought that it would get more visibility here..

On one of my customers opscenter servers we are having disk issues, the disk is running full because of log files. I checked which ones and it seems to be the ones lcoated in D:\Program Files\Symantec\OpsCenter\server\db\log, this folder is over 36GB big. There are lots of .slg files being created (about 1 every minute).

Is it safe to delete these? How can I fix this so that it stops creating these logs? I checked the vxul loggings but I don't think that this setting has anything to do with these logs being created.

I read somewhere that these files contain failed SQL querys and that they are safe to delete.

Any advice on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

These are cached sybase files of the server.log  and can be deleted.

You could try removing the "-zl" option in the server.conf file and then restart the Opscenter services to turn down the sybase logging. This should reduce the amount of slg files from being created. There is a downside to that in that if you log a case with support due to some SQL code issues it won't be logged.

From the Sybase Documentation:

-zl dbeng12/dbsrv12 server option

Turns on capturing of the most recently-prepared SQL statement for each connection to databases on the server.

Syntax

{ dbeng12 | dbsrv12 } -zl ...

Applies to

All operating systems and database servers.

Remarks

This feature can also be turned on using the RememberLastStatement server setting. You can obtain the most recently-prepared SQL statement for a connection using the LastStatement value of the CONNECTION_PROPERTY function. The sa_conn_activity stored procedure allows you to obtain the most recently-prepared SQL statement for all current connections to databases on the server. The LastStatement value is set when a statement is prepared, and is cleared when a statement is dropped. Only one statement string is remembered for each connection.

If sa_conn_activity reports a non-empty value for a connection, it is most likely the statement that the connection is currently executing. If the statement had completed, it would likely have been dropped and the property value would have been cleared. If an application prepares multiple statements and retains their statement handles, the LastStatement value does not reflect what a connection is currently doing.

For stored procedure calls, only the outermost procedure call appears, not the statements within the procedure.

Caution

When -zl is specified or when the RememberLastStatement server setting is turned on, any user can call the sa_conn_activity system procedure or obtain the value of the LastStatement connection property to find out the most recently-prepared SQL statement for any other user. This option should be used with caution and turned off when it isn't required.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

These are cached sybase files of the server.log  and can be deleted.

You could try removing the "-zl" option in the server.conf file and then restart the Opscenter services to turn down the sybase logging. This should reduce the amount of slg files from being created. There is a downside to that in that if you log a case with support due to some SQL code issues it won't be logged.

From the Sybase Documentation:

-zl dbeng12/dbsrv12 server option

Turns on capturing of the most recently-prepared SQL statement for each connection to databases on the server.

Syntax

{ dbeng12 | dbsrv12 } -zl ...

Applies to

All operating systems and database servers.

Remarks

This feature can also be turned on using the RememberLastStatement server setting. You can obtain the most recently-prepared SQL statement for a connection using the LastStatement value of the CONNECTION_PROPERTY function. The sa_conn_activity stored procedure allows you to obtain the most recently-prepared SQL statement for all current connections to databases on the server. The LastStatement value is set when a statement is prepared, and is cleared when a statement is dropped. Only one statement string is remembered for each connection.

If sa_conn_activity reports a non-empty value for a connection, it is most likely the statement that the connection is currently executing. If the statement had completed, it would likely have been dropped and the property value would have been cleared. If an application prepares multiple statements and retains their statement handles, the LastStatement value does not reflect what a connection is currently doing.

For stored procedure calls, only the outermost procedure call appears, not the statements within the procedure.

Caution

When -zl is specified or when the RememberLastStatement server setting is turned on, any user can call the sa_conn_activity system procedure or obtain the value of the LastStatement connection property to find out the most recently-prepared SQL statement for any other user. This option should be used with caution and turned off when it isn't required.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This has been solved in Opscenter forum, thanks.