cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for Realtime or continuous data protection of a VM using NetBackup

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

NetBackup is not realtime Data protection suite and nor a replication product; But I would like to know what feature is the best option to protect a VM as close to realtime or continuous data protection using NetBackup or NetBackup Appliances?

By using VMware policy and running every 15 or 30 minutes may help but that increases the NetBackup Catalog size and also I don't feel comfortable to snapshot a very active VM every 15 or 30 minutes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CliffordB
Level 4
Employee

Hi.

So, now I can answer freely :)

With 8.3, we made serveral changes to NetBackup AND customer entitlements.  For customers on Capacity Complete Editions or Capacity Complete + Flex, customers are entitled to use all the capabilities of Veritas Resiliency Platform (VRP).  One of the features is workload replication.  Today, we support physical to VMware, WMware to VMware, Physical to cloud, VMware or Hyper-V to cloud, and with 8.3....Azure Stack to Azure Stack, and Azure region to Azure region.

Also in 8.3, we added Continuous Data Protection (CDP) for the VMware to VMware use case.  This provides multiple recovery points via journaled relicated data.

For your original problem, continue to use NBU to make incremental backups as often as you see fit.  Add in VRP to provdie a replicated stream of data for the workloads that need very low RPOs, or chose CDP feature to add in multiple RPOs.  With 8.3, there is some integration with VRP via WebUI by providing visibility.  Future versions will incorporate more integraion as APIs get created.

Let me know if you need more details.  Hope that helps with your original question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CliffordB
Level 4
Employee

Hi. 

I can't answer today, but if you could wait another 8 days I can hopefully provide a detailed answer to your question.

Cheers

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Tape_Archived 

As VIP, you would've received an invite for the update session today, right? 

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Yes @CliffordB @Marianne I did attend the invite. Thanks

CliffordB
Level 4
Employee

Hi.

So, now I can answer freely :)

With 8.3, we made serveral changes to NetBackup AND customer entitlements.  For customers on Capacity Complete Editions or Capacity Complete + Flex, customers are entitled to use all the capabilities of Veritas Resiliency Platform (VRP).  One of the features is workload replication.  Today, we support physical to VMware, WMware to VMware, Physical to cloud, VMware or Hyper-V to cloud, and with 8.3....Azure Stack to Azure Stack, and Azure region to Azure region.

Also in 8.3, we added Continuous Data Protection (CDP) for the VMware to VMware use case.  This provides multiple recovery points via journaled relicated data.

For your original problem, continue to use NBU to make incremental backups as often as you see fit.  Add in VRP to provdie a replicated stream of data for the workloads that need very low RPOs, or chose CDP feature to add in multiple RPOs.  With 8.3, there is some integration with VRP via WebUI by providing visibility.  Future versions will incorporate more integraion as APIs get created.

Let me know if you need more details.  Hope that helps with your original question.