cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Agent Backup Configuration Questions.

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Hey all,
Okay so I'm attempting to set up an Oracle Agent backup. Here is my setup:
I have a win2k3 master/media server running 5.1mp6
I have a win2k3 client with nbu 5.1mp6 installed.
I have licensed the master server with the Oracle license.

As far as I've read, I have the prereqs in place.
Next, I go onto the oracle server and open the backup, archive, restore console. I click on 'backup selections' and see Oracle listed there. I open it up and select the appropriate database. A logon screen comes up and I put in an account with, what I'm told, sysdba privileges. However, the logon fails... So I'm curious what I might be doing wrong, or if the login is necessary. And advice you fearsome problem solving fellas might have is appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
You need to install NBU oracle agent on client before you do anything else. I am not much familiar with Windows but in Solaris/UNIX after installing oracle agent, you need to link NBU library with oracle library so that RMAN can write direct to tape/NBU controlled device. Then you need to create RMAN script where you define oracle policy, master server name, client name etc.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Here is your Best Friend for this particular case --

VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 5.1 for Oracle on Windows System Administrators Guide

http://support.veritas.com/docs/268100Message was edited by:
RK

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Alex I ran into this on a SAP/Oracle server not to long ago.
Basically if the DB on your server is set to use OS authentication you've got to change the login account used by the Netbackup Client Service to an account with SYSDBA priviledges.

And also make sure the account the DB guys give you actually works...when I run into trouble I make them login to the server with Oracle tools using the account they give me...9 out of 10 times there is a problem with the account.

regards,

JOE

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5

Two types of Authentication:
a) OS ( OS user has access on DB side as a sysdb )
b) Mixed Mode ( Netbackup uses OS user to run the client service and the DB user to login to the DB through the Netbackup DB agent interface )

have a check on this
If I am not wrong then you need to create the restore scripts for the restoration from the Agent GUI on the client machine

Warmest Regards