Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Backup\Restore via netbackup

Yip_Jack
Level 4

Hi Team,

netbakcup installed at win2008 R2
Oracle installed at linux 6 12C .

i can trigger oracle backup via netbackup console version 7.7.3 with windows local user login.
However its not allow me to restore when using BAR too. restore feature is allow to me clise.

may i know where i did wrong? please find attached 

Thanks
Yip

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot restore Oracle or any other database backup via BAR on the master server. 

Oracle restore is done via RMAN on the client.

Limited restore options are available via Java GUI on the client.
Best if Oracle DBA uses rman.

See: NetBackup for Oracle Administrator's Guide 

Yip_Jack
Level 4

Hi Marianne, 

i have read the guide, and found page 124 and found this below:

start the recovery wizard

1 Start the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface. ■ On Windows, from the Windows Start menu, choose All Programs > Symantec NetBackup > Backup, Archive, and Restore. ■ On UNIX, run the following command from the command line: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jbpSA &

2 (Conditional) Change the policy type. Perform this step if the Oracle node is not visible. From the File menu (Windows) or Actions menu (UNIX), choose Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type

. 3 Select files for Restore: ■ On Windows, click Selectfor Restore. ■ On UNIX, click the Restore Files tab.

4 Expand the Oracle node in the left pane to view an Oracle instance hierarchy.  <-- i cant expand the oracle backup node (please find attached)

5 Select a node in the left pane to view details in the right pane.

I stuck in Step 4, i cant expand oracle node in the left panel, may i know do i miss any steps?

Thanks and Regards

'Yip

Yip_Jack
Level 4

anyone can help?

In the BAR cannot create template as well.please find attached.

cannnot create template.jpg

Yip_Jack
Level 4

4 Expand the Oracle node in the left pane to view an Oracle instance hierarchy.  <-- i cant expand the oracle backup node (please find attached)

netbbackup.png

Marianne
Level 6

Go back to page 122:

The recovery process sometimes requires passwords for Oracle database access and system user accounts.

The above statement is wrong. It should read:

The recovery process always requires passwords for Oracle database access and system user accounts. 

You need to be logged in as Oracle user on the client.

Also see this section on p. 123:

On UNIX, the oratab file is read to get the names and location of each database.
The objects (tablespaces and data files) that make up an Oracle database are
displayed by expanding an individual database node. This information is gathered
from various database tables and views. Since you must be connected to the
database before you can access its tables or views, logon criteria must be provided.

When a user selects or expands a database node the wizard first tries to logon to
the database using OS authentication. If the authentication fails the user is solicited
for a user name and password. Optionally, the user is prompted for the Net Service
Name if the connection is through SQL-Net, which is then used to log on to the
database. This user must have SYSDBA privileges since the logon credentials are
also used to perform the RMAN restore. The logon fails if the database is not in
a mount state or an open state.

Moral of the story:
Do not try to restore Oracle without RMAN dba....

Yip_Jack
Level 4

i just checked with netbackup support team.

they told me, if using windows to trigger rman backup for linux oracle database, then it cant restore from window BRU/BAR.

Marianne
Level 6
That is what I told you in my 1st reply. You can only restore from the client. GUI or cmd.