cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Backup schedule

ARSSES
Level 3

Hi All,

I have a Sun StorageTek Sl500 with Two Tape Drives, connected directly to a backup "Sun Solaris 10 x86" server with VERITAS Net Backup 6.5 installed on it.
My target is to backup our Oracle Database using VERITAS, i have installed the database agent on the database server, created the backup template and generated a full backup schedule and it seams that everything is working properly except one thing I’m not sure it is normal or not, when I start the full backup schedule it starts the backup procedure and it starts the Default Application backup schedule and both schedules reserve a different tape drive which makes the library fully loaded, I think I have an issue here but I’m not able to detect it, so please could some one advice about the above, thanks in advance.

thanks;
ARSSES

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I don't understand how it's possible to have 2 active jobs for the same client with Max Jobs per Client set to 1.
It is normal to have one active job for the automatic schedule (parent job) and one for the Default Application schedule. Only the Default App sched will use a tape drive.
One Default App job will be initiated for each SBT_TAPE channel assigned in RMAN.
Do you want more than one active job? Do you want more than one job to write to the same drive? In that case, make all of these settings at least 2.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Check multiplexing in Storage Unit configuration as well as multiplexing in the Default Application schedule.
Also check 'Max Jobs per Client' in Host Properties -> Master -> Global settings.
The default for all of these settings is 1.

ARSSES
Level 3
Hi Marianne,

the multiplexing in the Default Application schedule = 1
Max Jobs per Client =1
multiplexing in Storage Unit configuration is disabled
Maximum concurrent write drives in storage unit configuration = 2

could you please advice what should else should i check that may cause this issue.

Thanks;
ARSSES.

Marianne
Level 6
I don't understand how it's possible to have 2 active jobs for the same client with Max Jobs per Client set to 1.
It is normal to have one active job for the automatic schedule (parent job) and one for the Default Application schedule. Only the Default App sched will use a tape drive.
One Default App job will be initiated for each SBT_TAPE channel assigned in RMAN.
Do you want more than one active job? Do you want more than one job to write to the same drive? In that case, make all of these settings at least 2.

ARSSES
Level 3
the problem that i do not want that, i do not want the oracle backup schedule to reserve the two drives when it runs, i only want it to use one drive not both of them

Symontec
Level 5
In your RMAN Script use only one SBT_TAPE. You should have two lines like this "ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch00 TYPE 'SBT_TAPE'", delete one of them. It should do what you want.

Regards,
SAF