cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Backups

dawitayele
Level 4

Hello 

I have a server with 18 databases, I am using Oracle Intelligent Policy to backup My databases, Is it recommended to use 1 policy for all databases? or I should use 1 policy for 1 database.

I am using Netbackup Appliance 5240.

Thank You

Dave

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

when you have common backup requirements for all the databases (RPO, retention, backup window, storage, number of copies,..) then you can use 1 policy. If these requirements differ, use appropriate set of multiple policies.

Even if you use 1 policy, use Limit Jobs Per Policy to restrict number of concurrent db backups, so that you wont overload the client.

Regards

Michal

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I think it is very much up to yore own deign.

Personally I would go for one policy with 18 databases, to avoid cluttering GUI with a lot of policies.

But - if you want to control backup execution time and retention for every database, then one policy per database might be the right for you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

when you have common backup requirements for all the databases (RPO, retention, backup window, storage, number of copies,..) then you can use 1 policy. If these requirements differ, use appropriate set of multiple policies.

Even if you use 1 policy, use Limit Jobs Per Policy to restrict number of concurrent db backups, so that you wont overload the client.

Regards

Michal

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I think it is very much up to yore own deign.

Personally I would go for one policy with 18 databases, to avoid cluttering GUI with a lot of policies.

But - if you want to control backup execution time and retention for every database, then one policy per database might be the right for you.

@Nicolai @Michal_Mikulik1  Thank You Guys,

Marianne
Level 6

@dawitayele 

Please be sure to read through this section for Oracle in Appliance Performance Tuning guide: 

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/89578623-126555802-0/v89988127-126555802