cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Catalog

Smalling
Level 3

Hello All - i am using netbackup 773 on Redhat Linux 5.X master and media server .

I have requirement , in my oracle environment if i have only control file without catalog file will i be able to backup only control file without catalog.

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per the manual - rman catalog is NOT mandatory.

....  you are not required to maintain a recovery catalog. 

Advisable, not mandatory.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Smalling
Level 3

I see the following lines from the NBU77X Guide for oracle :

An RMAN recovery catalog or the database control file is a repository for the information that RMAN uses and maintains. RMAN uses this information to determine how to run requested backup and restore actions.

And also i see the following line:

Oracle recommends that you use RMAN with a recovery catalog, especially if you have 20 or more data files. However, you are not required to maintain a recovery catalog with RMAN.

In this case even if the RMAN doesnot have the recovery catalog would i be able to backup with the help of control file or is it mandatory to have catalog.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per the manual - rman catalog is NOT mandatory.

....  you are not required to maintain a recovery catalog. 

Advisable, not mandatory.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

@SmallingThink there is some confusing here, a RMAN catalog is another Oracle database or a part of another Oracle Database not a file. Even with a RMAN catalog, the control file usually still holds some information about backups of the database.

Using a RMAN catalog gives some extra possibilities as far as I remember. Your DBA can probably give you an up to date information about what they are exactly now.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue