cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle DB backup getting failed with error 6

Ramesh111
Level 4

Hi,

While I was running Oracle DB backup media server got rebooted . So backup got failed. When I'm trying to rerun DB backup it's getting failed with error code 6.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Oracle dba needs to fix that....

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17766/rmanus.htm 

RMAN-06554: WARNING: file string is in backup mode
Cause: A file which is being backed up or copied is in backup mode. RMAN will back up the file anyway, but files do not need to be put into backup mode before backing them up with RMAN.
Action: Use the ALTER TABLESPACE ... END BACKUP statement, at the target database server, to take the files out of backup mode.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

Error code 6 says that there is an issue with rman backup on the client, not NBU.

Oracle dba needs to check status of the db's and ensure that everything is up and running before you try another backup.

If backup still fails, look at rman output on the client and take action related to the rman error.

Ramesh111
Level 4

Thanks for your update Marianee.

I found below error and asked dba to check. First backup was not cleared the backup mode after failing.

error:

RMAN-06554: WARNING: file 40 is in backup mode current control file cannot be backed up by proxy.

Marianne
Level 6

Oracle dba needs to fix that....

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17766/rmanus.htm 

RMAN-06554: WARNING: file string is in backup mode
Cause: A file which is being backed up or copied is in backup mode. RMAN will back up the file anyway, but files do not need to be put into backup mode before backing them up with RMAN.
Action: Use the ALTER TABLESPACE ... END BACKUP statement, at the target database server, to take the files out of backup mode.

Ramesh111
Level 4

Dear Marianne,

Sorry for late reply. Issue was resolved ( We use to take cold backup for db everyday midnight) db went down and came back. Morning when I ran oracle agent backup it got success.