Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Database Restore

Shaun_Taylor
Level 5
Certified

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Oracle database restores. First, here's some information on our environment:

• 2 sites, each with a Data Domain
  • v7.5.0.4 master servers clustered using VCS, made up of 2 nodes (one at each site)
  • Media servers at each site, all of which are configured to have access to clients and Data Domains at both sites

When one of our DBAs carried out a restore recently, I noticed that media servers from both sites were used when using multiple channels. Although all clients and both Data Domains are configured so that all media servers at both sites can access them for flexibility if needed, our backups are configured to only use media servers at the same site and restores generally use the same media server so this has never been an issue before.

However, as our DBAs initiate the database restore using RMAN and only specify the master server, I'm guessing that either all media servers listed in bp.conf on the client are nominated for use or all media servers configured for the storage servers are considered suitable for use. If this is the case, ideally I don't want to change this if at all possible.

So to summarise, there are 2 parts to this question:

1. Am I on the right lines as to why all media servers at both sites are being used for the restore?
  2. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to limit this in some way in NBU, or is it possible for our DBAs to specify a media server/s for a restore?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your understanding is correct. check this note.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137274

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Your understanding is correct. check this note.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137274

Shaun_Taylor
Level 5
Certified

That's great, thanks for your help. USE_BACKUP_MEDIA_SERVER_FOR_RESTORE seems like the most suitable option for us. However it does lead me to another question:

Our backups are all duplicated between Data Domains / between sites (which is why all media servers are configured to have access to storage servers in the first place). From what I have observed, when duplicating an image from site A to site B a media server at site B is used to read and write - so does this mean that a restore from the secondary copy would use a media server at site B, or a media server from site A as it carried out the original backup?

I'm guessing there is no way for the DBAs to specify media servers in RMAN?

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

The restores can choose any server that has credentials. It would use copy 1 unless otherwise specified, and as noted, even if copy is located on site A, the site B media server has rights to read it.

You might have missed this in the note. NB_ORA_DISK_MEDIA_SERVER can be passed in the rman restore script.

Point Solution:  
Use bprestore command with '-disk_media_server' option to force the media server at the remote client to be selected for restores. For Oracle RMAN backups, use the send parameter NB_ORA_DISK_MEDIA_SERVER to specify the desired media server. For more details on using alternate disk media server for restores from a specific copy, please see TechNotes 345989, 327156 and 358133.

Shaun_Taylor
Level 5
Certified

Apologies - I did somehow completely miss that when I read the technote!

Thanks for your help, that's exactly what I needed.

RiaanBadenhorst

Pleasure