cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Instance - Validation Failed

JAM1991
Level 4

Hi,

Currently trying to register an oracle instance from within the NetBackup Administration Console.

Using OS credentials and have also inputted my Oracle Authentication details.

I select 'OK' and the validation fails with "Validation of operating system user/password failed for client".

I understand this error message relates to incorrect credentials but I have confirmed they are correct on the target client, and the same credentials are running the oracle application.

Would anyone have any suggestions in order to help me troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance.

34 REPLIES 34

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Could it be the account is locked ?

Try to login using the credentials given.

JAM1991
Level 4

Thanks for your reply to my post, are you able to advise how I can check if the account is locked out within oracle? (Oracle is running on UNIX).

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What type of UNIX/Linux ?

If you unfamiliar with UNIX then team up with the DBA or UNIX admin to verify the credentials work. Upon login you should get a command prompt. 

JAM1991
Level 4

Oracle Linux Enterprise Server 6.5, running Oracle with 3 instances.

I have verified the credentials as they are running a live application which is currently in use.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Curious to know if 'normal' NBU comms to and from this client is working fine.

My guess is that the same pbx port comms will be needed as well as successful forward and reverse name lookup, as with normal backups.

Can you confirm that bptestbpcd can successfully connect to the client?
bptestbpcd -client <client-name> -verbose -debug

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Did you get a command prompt ?

The use should be ora<SID> user and member of the dba group.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Good point - In my mind I assumed this was in place. 

JAM1991
Level 4

How and where from; do I need to run the command "bptestbpcd -client <client-name> -verbose -debug" ?

Thanks

JAM1991
Level 4

The client in question is backing up successfully under another policy, which is setup as a "Standard" policy type and set to ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. The backup has completed succesfully, which I guess proves NBU comms is working correctly?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

From either the master or media server.

Open a command prompt (run as administrator on Windows) and run the command Marianne has show in directory where the command is located.

See this tech note : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH42657

JAM1991 - Don't get me wrong. But I look like you need some basic Netbackup training fist before you jump at Oracle backups. While backup with Oracle Intelligent Policies are easy to configure you will be completely lost when the Oracle details pop out like recover catalogs, TNS admins etc. Just remember no world champ ever dropped from the sky :)

JAM1991
Level 4

Is this the same if we are using NetBackup Appliances?

I have looked on both our Windows master servers and the path <installpath>\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd does not exist?

Appreciate your replies and I have attended 5 days of NBU training, however this is the first troubleshooting I have had to perform. . . 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please test client-initiated comms as well please:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -pn

Testing comms is just 'basics' that I usually like to confirm.

I know someone who has experienced similar issues recently. Let me 'poke' him to see if he found a solution...

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes it is. Are you managing the master server from a Windows Remote administration console ?

Do you have firewalls in place ?

JAM1991
Level 4

Ran bptestbpcd -client <client-name> -verbose -debug and confirmed connection.

Ran bpclntcmd -pn and received expected response.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Great !

Can you confirm the account you are using is ora<SID> user ?

<SID> being the name of the database ?

JAM1991
Level 4

Here is the Register Instance window which I am trying to configure:

Screenshot.jpg

Validation fails as below:

Oracle2.jpg

jim_dalton
Level 6

The account doesnt need to be oracle anything. You can use root account, indeed. Hence if the server is set to block root access via putty (which is a security plus  and recommended) then you WONT succeed in logging in BUT it will still work via the oracle credentials. To complete some of the picture it does depend on the client services.

So if you dont get much joy, try the root account! Your sysad may not let you know the details but could type them in as required. Your sysad will know about account activation/locking and so forth. The root account wont be locked.

Jim 

JAM1991
Level 4

Jim - the settings I have in the attached screenshots; work perfectly for another server with two oracle instances. I just can't understand why the OS validation for this client is failing for user/password.

The credentials used are the same for both servers, I have two instances working and two not.

PS - Previously attempted to use the root account, same error is encountered.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Thanks for the screen dump & additional info !

Does this client have multiple network interfaces or is a cluster ?

Any messages in /var/log/messages or from command "last" about failed logins ?