cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Instance - Validation Failed

JAM1991
Level 4

Hi,

Currently trying to register an oracle instance from within the NetBackup Administration Console.

Using OS credentials and have also inputted my Oracle Authentication details.

I select 'OK' and the validation fails with "Validation of operating system user/password failed for client".

I understand this error message relates to incorrect credentials but I have confirmed they are correct on the target client, and the same credentials are running the oracle application.

Would anyone have any suggestions in order to help me troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance.

34 REPLIES 34

JAM1991
Level 4

Thanks for your continued help; Yes this client does have multiple network interfaces.

Multiple connections to LAN and Multiple connections to Storage Network (SAN storage).

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am suspecting that the issue you are seeing has somthing with the multiple network interfaces to do. The working configuration - does that have muliple NIC's.

can you ask the unix admin if he/she knows how tcpdump works. By using tcpdump the UNIX admin can tell if traffic from the master is reaching the client and the client respond to it.test has to be carried out from the master server.

JAM1991
Level 4

The other server with two instances; also has multiple connections to both LAN and SAN storage and is working fine. We don't have dedicated UNIX admin to seek advice from.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I see. I am at the end of the working day and busy this evening.

I currently looking for documentation to see what Netbackup  process is responsible for verifying the credentials.

Lets see if the US & Asia has suggestion through the night.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please let us know how your call with Symantec Support is progressing?

JAM1991
Level 4

No progress as yet, I have checked the DB login and that works fine, as does the operating system one, however I’m not sure what permissions the operating system users requires for NBU.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Maybe a stupid question, have you tried to log on with dcsdba from the netbackup server to the problematic client ?

Also it seems to me that you are missing the tnsname for this database, which rman probably will need to log on to the database

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

JAM1991
Level 4

Thanks for your post Michael, when you say 'log on with dcsdba' do you mean a PuTTY session from the NBU Master Server to the problematic client?

Regarding the TNS Name, the other UNIX client we have can register instances using the same credentials (without tnsname) without issue. So I guess I'm trying to find the underlying difference between the two clients. . .

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Yes something like that, to see if the logon problem is between the master server and the client for some reason.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Mohmec
Level 4

JAM1991- Was this resolved? I am facing the same problem.

jim_dalton
Level 6

What version of client? The client ver needs to be correct, otherwise it wont know what the hell is going on!

You have confirmed the client can be backed up therefore it has a client on it, the question is : what version?

Jim

Mohmec
Level 4

Oracle version is 11.2 and NBU client is 7.6.0.3

jim_dalton
Level 6

client ver looks ok : Im surprised you cant use root: have you actually typed in the root pw and seen that it is indeed the correct pw. Ie having ssh using say putty to the server as non-root user then su - <enter passwd> ?

Could be an ora ent linux thing  I guess, have we checked the compatibility list? Jim

dicky_23
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello everyone

i have the same issue with oracle, Connection through command was success, but the validation for oracle failed. The Oracle Dba already gave a sys administrator. but it failed.

I'm using NBU 7.6.1 on master and media. Client Nbu running AIX 7

Hello,

This is an old document.
I had the same problem and solved it like this:
1.DB Process start
  -> sqlplus '/ as sysdba'
  -> startup
2. Check DB Locked Out
  ->I do not know about oracle in detail.
Please check using activation syntax ^^;
3. Activate the listener
  -> lsnrctl status
  -> lsnrctl start

I replied in case someone else had this problem.

(I hope it will help many people.)
Have a nice day.