cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Intelligent Backup in Windows Cluster

George_Dicu
Level 4

Hello,

So I got 7.6.0.3 NBU env., 1 master server and 4 media servers all windows standard 2008 R2.

• I have to backup oracle dbs, but this is a cluster set-up with 2 nodes, and I had set-up the policy with Instanges group, when I addded the credentials and hit discover instances, i found those 2 servers and register both DBs. So the policy is set-up with Instances Group and as selection with Whole_database.

But in this situation, when the backup starts, of course it starts on both servers which is not ok.

One is passive one its active so it cannot back up them in the same time, actually it will never backup them in the same time, it will always be the passive node backup.

• Then I set-up 2 policies and I register those dbs sepparatelly

But in this sittuation it`s still not correct, because I do not know how to set-up policy time-frame and I have no ideea when and which node is passive.

What is the perfect cfg for backup oracle in a windows cluster?

//George

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jim_dalton
Level 6

Can you explain your comment xao: the "oip backup cannot handle cluster oracle". Because it works perfectly where I am , but then I'm Solaris + oracle cluster. I'm interested to get to the bottom of this...maybe its windows cluster that is the issue.Thanks, Jim.

View solution in original post

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It doesn't support RAC. Normal cluster shouldn't have an issue.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RiaanBadenhorst

Gonna give a guess.

Since this features relies on the client passing back information about the DB on the host to the master, i would say you could change the client name to the virtual / clustered name of Oracle. You might then be able to register the database with the virtual name instead of the host names. Do it for both nodes.

George_Dicu
Level 4
  • So I commented out the nodes from host files and then let just the cluster virutal name, ip and fqdn.

then bpclntcmd -clear_host_chache of course,

At discovery it still find the instances with host property pointing to nodes hostname.

• I changed the host property inside instance group, but ... this is not working at all, all sorts of errors, like 25,6, and invalid error number(1073741502), which point out, this is not the way..

//George

RiaanBadenhorst

Sorry, I should have been more specific when I said client name, i meant NetBackup client name (NetBackup Management -> host properties -> clients > ). Leave your host files (don't know why you're using host files in Windows environment) alone.

George_Dicu
Level 4

Oh, that is a strange approch, why should I change the NBU Client Name into cluster virtual node name?

The ip still points out to the phisical node.

But i did it and at Discovery the host property has the same host, the phisical ones.

What do you mean, why I use host files, I use it to let NBU know whici ip corelates with which hostnames and fqdn`s.

//George

RiaanBadenhorst

Its not common practice, in some configurations involving clusters it done for SQL for instance.

If you're running Windows you would usually be having a DNS environment so host files would not be required. That is what I meant.

George_Dicu
Level 4

So either way something is missing.
Any ideas?

//George

jim_dalton
Level 6

Coming from an oracle cluster angle , part of the cluster resource group for the instance includes an ip address....the db runs on a different node? Then the address in the resource group moves with it, therefore the db is always 100% running clustered on the address that is part of this resource groups resources. Hence the only sensible client name to use in netbackup is the address that is part of the resource group. It has worked in cluster since as long as I can remember and is even better using OIP/ 

Just need someone to translate these terms into ms cluster terms, unless of course it doesnt work in the same manner.

Jim

George_Dicu
Level 4

Found the issue:

Oracle Intelligent Backup cannot handle cluster oracle.

I must do backups in traditional way, which I do not know.

Do you have some good Netbackup Windows Oracle backup trainings/videos?

jim_dalton
Level 6

Can you explain your comment xao: the "oip backup cannot handle cluster oracle". Because it works perfectly where I am , but then I'm Solaris + oracle cluster. I'm interested to get to the bottom of this...maybe its windows cluster that is the issue.Thanks, Jim.

RiaanBadenhorst

It doesn't support RAC. Normal cluster shouldn't have an issue.