Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle RAC 10g R2 - How to configure?

Jairo_Ferreira
Level 3
Partner
Hello People,

I need help to configure a backup to oracle rac, because in the document about the Oracle in Unix, said thar we could not use templates. So I have a RAC with two machines, and one fix ip for each one and a virtual ip too. I have to install clients in each one and put the virtual ip and how can I create a script to it? The OS in this case is AIX 5.3 and Netbackup 7.0.
Thanks in Advance to Everyone and Best Regards,

Jairo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Create the policy with the virtual name as client name.
Ensure that forward and reverse lookup is successful using the virtual name and IP address.

The NBU install on the cluster nodes put sample scripts in /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/oracle/samples/rman.
Copy these samples to a folder on shared disk.
Ask the Oracle DBA to customize test script(s).
Ensure that the virtual name is hard-coded in the script using NB_ORA_CLIENT variable.

Have a look at "About the RMAN SEND command variables" section in the NBU for Oracle manual.

e.g:
ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch00 TYPE 'SBT_TAPE';
SEND 'NB_ORA_CLIENT=virtual_name';
BACKUP
DATABASE;

Backing up of archive logs depend on whether the archive logs are accessible by each node in the cluster. If they are not, then the archive logs need to be backed up separately on each node.
See "About archiving schemes" in the same manual.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Create the policy with the virtual name as client name.
Ensure that forward and reverse lookup is successful using the virtual name and IP address.

The NBU install on the cluster nodes put sample scripts in /usr/openv/netbackup/ext/db_ext/oracle/samples/rman.
Copy these samples to a folder on shared disk.
Ask the Oracle DBA to customize test script(s).
Ensure that the virtual name is hard-coded in the script using NB_ORA_CLIENT variable.

Have a look at "About the RMAN SEND command variables" section in the NBU for Oracle manual.

e.g:
ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch00 TYPE 'SBT_TAPE';
SEND 'NB_ORA_CLIENT=virtual_name';
BACKUP
DATABASE;

Backing up of archive logs depend on whether the archive logs are accessible by each node in the cluster. If they are not, then the archive logs need to be backed up separately on each node.
See "About archiving schemes" in the same manual.

Jairo_Ferreira
Level 3
Partner

Hi Marianne,

We have two machines but the Oracle_SID is different, how can I use the script in this case?

Because in one machine the Oracle_SID is (Jes21) and the other (Jes22).

Tks

Jairo

Jairo_Ferreira
Level 3
Partner
Hi Marianne,

We have two machines but the Oracle_SID is different, how can I use the script in this case?

Because in one machine the Oracle_SID is (Jes21) and the other (Jes22).

Tks

Jairo

Marianne
What hostname is used to access each SID? Is there a virtual name associated with each SID? Using physical hostnames defeats the purpose of a cluster setup.
Each SID should have it's own script and own policy.
The SID name is specified in the script. Extract from sample script hot_database_backup.sh :

ORACLE_SID=ora81
export ORACLE_SID