cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle RAC on AIX

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi All,

Needs some feedback on this configuration's support/compatibility as a netbackup client with the oracle agent.

NBU 6.5.x

AIX 5.3 TL 11

Oracle 10g RAC

GPFS 3.2.0.29

Can I back it up using RMAN (via oracle agent) or is the FS a delimiting factor?

R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Looking at the DB agent support list (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43684) it suggests support for Oracle 10g (and R2) on AIX 5.3.

The file system is not of importance as NBU will not interact with the file system directly, unless you try snapshot backups. And GPFS/NBU combination is not supported as far as I know when doing snapshots...

So if RMAN can pull a decent I/O rate, you should be good to go.

GPFS is a funny file system, as it is fairly decent to serve few, but very large files, whereas it definately comes short when you have many files of mainly small files. The concurrency checking for access  is the problem I guess. For Oracle, I imagine you would see acceptable performance.

I have a GPFS file system with 100+ million files, we get ~2.3MB/s using standard policy... :(

/A

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Looking at the DB agent support list (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43684) it suggests support for Oracle 10g (and R2) on AIX 5.3.

The file system is not of importance as NBU will not interact with the file system directly, unless you try snapshot backups. And GPFS/NBU combination is not supported as far as I know when doing snapshots...

So if RMAN can pull a decent I/O rate, you should be good to go.

GPFS is a funny file system, as it is fairly decent to serve few, but very large files, whereas it definately comes short when you have many files of mainly small files. The concurrency checking for access  is the problem I guess. For Oracle, I imagine you would see acceptable performance.

I have a GPFS file system with 100+ million files, we get ~2.3MB/s using standard policy... :(

/A

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks for the clarification!