cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle RMAN backups not writing logs to dbclient

rjrumfelt
Level 6
I am troubleshooting a backup failure for one of our hot db backups.  The DBA has verified that the libraries have been linked correctly, and to make sure, he relinked them.  I've got VERBOSE = 5 in the bp.conf file.

The flat file backups to this host work without an issue, however the sparse details we get in the activity monitor suggest it is some type of connectivity issue (child streams fail 58 with the folloiwng message:

11/09/2009 14:50:40 - Error bprd (pid=9942) Unable to write progress log </usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/dbext/logs/16212.0.1257777824> on client <clientname-bkup>. Policy=NONE Sched=NONE
11/09/2009 14:50:40 - Error bprd (pid=9942) CLIENT <clientname-bkup>  POLICY NONE  SCHED NONE  EXIT STATUS 58 (can't connect to client)

Although it does not look like it from the error above, the necessary NetBackup parameters are being passed to Oracle, as I can see the master server name listed for "NB_ORA_SERV" and I can see the policy listed for "NB_ORA_POLICY" from the RMAN erro log.

The rman error stack also indicates the same type of connectivity issue.  I'm curious as to what could be preventing the logs to be written to the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/dbclient directory on the host.  It has the same permissions set as the bpcd directory, which is having logs written to it (the permissions are 755).  I'm assuming that for some reason, NBU and Oracle are not communicating as they should, but I'm having difficulty nailing down where the disconnect might be.

RMAN log:

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ch01 channel at 11/09/2009 14:58:50
ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="bk_96_1_702485024", parms=""
ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error
ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
   VxBSACreateObject: Failed with error:
   Server Status:  Communication with the server has not been initiated or the server status has not been retrieved from the serve

RMAN>

Also, I've made sure the NB_ORA_SCHED parameter does not need to be passed to Oraclce, as I deleted one of the two schedules I had set up, so there is only one schedule that I am attempting to back up.

Any thoughts on the issue?
21 REPLIES 21

kfh
Level 3
There a "solution" flag for this thread in the forum, but the solution link jumped to restarting the netbackup daemons after creating the bprd log directory.  Has the issue of being unable to write logs to the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/dbclient directory actually been solved?  I'm experiencing the same issue with a client's rman backups.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What are the permissions on dbclient log? The oracle user MUST have write access. Do 'chmod 777 dbclient'.