Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Restores : best practice?

Stefaan_M
Level 4
Partner
hi,

I have a question concerning Oracle restores...
We use the following backup scheme for backing up oracle databases via the Netbackup Agent for Oracle (talking to RMAN):
- Daily incrementals
- 2-hourly archivelog backups
- Weekly full

Inital backups go to VTL and are duplicated to physical tape afterwards using Storage Lifecycle Policies...
Physical tapes are moved to an offsite location each day.
So far so good.

When we want to restore a database, or part of a database we face the following "issues":

1. using the GUI : we login with the oracle user.  Then we face the limitation that we cannot change the start and end date, so we can only restore from the last backup.  Another annoying problem is that we cannot use the "preview" button, so we cannot easily determine which tapes need to come back onsite. 

--> does anyone know a good workaround/solution for this?

2. if we do not use the GUI, we will have to fallback to command line.  We can specify from which date we want to restore but then again we face the problem concerning the offsite tapes.  Yes, you can run a query that consults the RMAN repository to see which tapes have been used for the initial backup, but unfortunately it does not show the tapes that have been used for the duplicates.  So then again we need to start puzzeling with bpimagelist and bpverify. 

--> are there any other, more user-friendly, ways to get information about the media that will be needed to perform the restores?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stefaan.
1 REPLY 1

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Sorry, I 'm a newbie here.

but I was trying to restore a Oracle DB.

I have started the jbpSA in client

thant select the type of the policy to orcle and than Next next finish

I had a great problem w/ a disaster recover, the control file and stuff is very useful to back them up like files.. than restore the control files and restore de DB.

I hoppe it helps