Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle backup without using RMAN

mumair109917
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

hi All,

i have my customer who is using Oracle 10g on AIX and as per there statement they are not using RMAN in there environment, so i want to know is there any other way to backup oracle DB using Netbackup??

Environment:

NBU 7.6.0.1 Server on windows 2008

Oracle Client on AIX

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

One way to do it:

RMAN dump to disk - Netbackup use regular file backup of flat files.

The advantage of this "solution" is that responsibilities are strict separated between you and the dba. They need to ensure the **RIGHT** data is there, and in a event of restore you bring back the files they request. 

In general you should not be the trashcan for customers trying to save $$$. If they want data security they should pay whats needed. Else ask them what their data is worth cheeky

Hope you can use use the "business ammunition" also.

Best Regards

Nicolai

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

One way to do it:

RMAN dump to disk - Netbackup use regular file backup of flat files.

The advantage of this "solution" is that responsibilities are strict separated between you and the dba. They need to ensure the **RIGHT** data is there, and in a event of restore you bring back the files they request. 

In general you should not be the trashcan for customers trying to save $$$. If they want data security they should pay whats needed. Else ask them what their data is worth cheeky

Hope you can use use the "business ammunition" also.

Best Regards

Nicolai

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

as per there statement they are not using RMAN in there environment,

I find it weird that Oracle dba's are not using RMAN since this is the built-in Oracle backup utility.

If they are not using RMAN, they need to shut down the database before the backup starts and then start again when backup is done.
You really don't want to get involved in the scripting and timing of the backups....
Best that they create the scripts to shutdown and perform user backup to NBU using bpbackup command and use something like crontab to schedule it.

They can also write a script to put the database in backup mode for the duration of the backup, but I doubt that this is recommended by Oracle in a large environment.
Again - let them do the scripting with bpbackup as part of the process.
All you will do is create the policy and ensure backup resources are available.

Let your dba's ask in an Oracle forum: 
"What is the recommended way to backup Oracle?"