cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle in Solaris 10 zones - how to backup ?

przemol
Level 4

Hello,

we have been using NBU 7.0 for cold backup (with storage checkpoints) for Oracle 10 running in Solaris 10 zones. The client is installed in global zone and all tasks are run from global zone. Now we would like to use Oracle online backup using RMAN. Can we still do this from global zone or we have to install NBU client in each local zone ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to install NBU client in each local zone.

NBU TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65627

I had a reference to a BigAdmin doc that no longer exists. The recommendation there was to config the global zone as media server:

Tip: If you would like to consolidate servers or take advantage of the higher-network bandwidth between non-global zones on the same system as compared to wired networks, you can also co-locate the media server on the same system. The connection between the server and the storage device must have sufficient bandwidth for all backup streams.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Marianne

You need to install NBU client in each local zone.

NBU TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65627

I had a reference to a BigAdmin doc that no longer exists. The recommendation there was to config the global zone as media server:

Tip: If you would like to consolidate servers or take advantage of the higher-network bandwidth between non-global zones on the same system as compared to wired networks, you can also co-locate the media server on the same system. The connection between the server and the storage device must have sufficient bandwidth for all backup streams.

przemol
Level 4

Well,

according to the above link I have to create /usr/openv in each local zone. Since the whole /usr is "derived" from global zone as read-only I cannot create there any entity (file/directory). Any workaround here ?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Don't create symbolic link on each local zone. Create it on global zone. The link is derived to each local zone that share /usr FS with global zone. Then install client software on each local zone.

przemol
Level 4

I am not sure if I understand your suggestion but symbolink link are not used if I configure Solaris 10 zone.

Particular filesystem is derived from global zone at the kernel level: no symbolic links - just zone configuration.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
It is not matter whether you use symbolic link when configuring zone. Just follow the technone Marianne suggested. Create symbolic link on global zone before you install client software on local zone.

Marianne

Have you had a look at the TN yet? It tells you step-by-step what to do with examples!

przemol
Level 4

Yes - I've read this link. Unfortunatelly we have the following zone configuration:

inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /usr
inherit-pkg-dir:
        dir: /opt

So both /usr and /opt is inherited from global zone. What can I do in such case ?

Marianne

Create symbolic links.

The TN contains steps and examples.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

As wrote above, just create symbolic link that refer to non-inherited path.
Creating link in global zone using "ln -s /nonglobdir/openv /usr/openv" lead client software into /nonglobdir/openv on each local zone.

przemol
Level 4

As far as I understand the TN this step "ln -s /nonglobdir/openv /usr/openv" is done in case of a server which does not have a master/media server on the global zone. But we do have master/media server on the global zone. Our case is the following:

• Has a master/media server installed on the global zone
  • Has a sparse local zone using a read-only loopback device for the /usr directory

We have already installed it in /usr/openv (global zone).

(global zone)

# ls -al /usr/openv
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         10 Jan 12 12:50 /usr/openv -> /opt/openv

(local zone)

# mkdir /opt/openv
mkdir: Failed to make directory "/opt/openv"; Read-only file system

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Oh, you have installed master server... You can fix link by re-installing if your installation in global zone is client or media server. Now, I've no idea for it. Please consider options below. * backup oracle using RMAN disk channel, and take backup of RMAN backup pieces using NetBackup in global zone. * set each table space into backup mode(begin backup), then backup oracle as file backup using NetBackup in global zone. # workaround such as moving netbackup files and remaking link will be harmful for further maintenance. Don't do it.

przemol
Level 4

In fact we have installed media (not master) server in global zone. Do we need to reinstall it to be able to install client in a local zone ?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

If your setup in global zone is media server(not master server), it might be possible.

I have tried for POC in my test environment. This procedure is not documented anywhere, so you should open a case with Symantec, and try with their assist.

# Although It seems working fine in my environment, Symantec may forbit this way.

1) re-install media server in global zone.
   You must specify destination directory that is not inheried from global zone.

Example: /NBU_BASEDIR

2) create destination directory in each local zone.

zoneclient# mkdir -p /NBU_BASEDIR/openv

3) install client software

globalzone# install_client_files ssh zoneclient
    :

4) in local zone, VRTSpbx package was installed, but PBX service does not exit.

zoneclient# pkginfo VRTSpbx
application VRTSpbx Symantec Private Branch Exchange
zoneclient# svcs -a | grep pbx
zoneclient# ps -ef | grep pbx
zoneclient#

5) export manifest on global zone, and copy it into local zone.

globalzone# svccfg export svc:/system/vxpbx >/tmp/vxpbx_manifest
globalzone# scp /tmp/vxpbx_manifest zoneclient:/tmp

zoneclient# svccfg import /tmp/vxpbx_manifest
zoneclient#
zoneclient# svcs -a | grep pbx
online         14:22:52 svc:/system/vxpbx:default
zoneclient# ps -ef | grep pbx
    root 13633  2417   0 14:16:30 ?           0:00 /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/pbx_exchange
zoneclient#

przemol
Level 4

Beacuse we still use this media server to backup each zone the easiest solution would be to install client within zone in non-default directory. Is it possible ?

Marianne

Not sure if it is possible to install client software in different folder. Software installation does not give an option to install into any folder other than /usr. The workaround is normally to create a sym link before installation is attempted.

I have no experience with Solaris zones, but it does seem odd that /opt in your instance is part of read-only filesystem. Documentation seems to suggest that in a Sparse Root Zone, the directories /usr, /sbin, /lib and /platform will be mounted as loopback file systems. It does not mention /opt?

Possibly best to open a Support ticket with Symantec. Mention the TN above and the steps that you have tried.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
/usr/openv have already been linked to /opt/openv, and both /usr and /opt is inherited. You can not install into other directory in such condition.