cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle is not visible on oracle client java backup GUI

Andicomposa
Level 4

Dear all,

Recently i installed netbackup client on one of my oracle client, The problem is i cant open oracle database as it is not installed on the client oracle server. With error could not connect, so i cant create oracle template.

If there is anything i miss please let me know, as i am new to netbackup.

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

When install and link oracle client on server 1 on the cluster it works fine and i can see oracle on the backup restore GUI also i can create templates which work fine.

In the case of Server 2 on the cluster even after linking to oracle database i cant see installed oracle database, which the netbackup client assumes there is no oracle installed on the server.

The other thing that i cant understand is i can backup the database when server 2  take over the cluster as active node using the virtual name.

sounds like expected behaviour for active/passive.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Dipendra_Singh
Level 4

Have you installed netbackup for oracle agent......???? this is mandatory to backup oracle DB in netbackup for UNIX.....

Andicomposa
Level 4

Thanks for your reply

I am installing Netbackup 7.0 master and client servers, which mean i dont need to install oracle agent separately on oracle client.

Andicomposa
Level 4

Please, any one with idea?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Oracle server software requirements for NetBackup for Oracle

Verify the following regarding the Oracle server software on the NetBackup server or client:

Oracle server software must be installed and operational.

One or more Oracle instances must exist.

To use NetBackup for Oracle, add a valid license key for it on the master server.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You did not mention the OS on the client?

If Unix/Linix, did you run oracle_link?

I am battling to understand this statement - please help me to understand?  "i cant open oracle database as it is not installed on the client oracle server."  What is not installed ? Oracle?

Link to NBU for Oracle Guide that Bill mentioned above:

Oracle Admin Guide UNIX,Linux  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127053
Oracle Admin Guide for Windows  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127052

Andicomposa
Level 4

I think i dont define my case correctly.

I have one oracle client running on Sun cluster with two hardwares acting as active and passive.

So installed netbackup client on both hardwares and i use thair virtual name to backup the oracle database.

There is no name resolution or connection problem's virtual name or virtual ip address.

Problem:

When install and link oracle client on server 1 on the cluster it works fine and i can see oracle on the backup restore GUI also i can create templates which work fine.

In the case of Server 2 on the cluster even after linking to oracle database i cant see installed oracle database, which the netbackup client assumes there is no oracle installed on the server.

The other thing that i cant understand is i can backup the database when server 2  take over the cluster as active node using the virtual name.

Andicomposa
Level 4

Please guys any thing ???????????

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you seen the following in the manual that I've posted above?

To start the NetBackup Backup, Archive, and Restore interface
1 Use operating system methods to log into the client upon which NetBackup for Oracle is installed.
2 Make sure that the Oracle database is in the mount or open state.

So, the GUI will only work on the Active node.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NetBackup checks /etc/oratab to find oracle instances installed on the host.

Will_Restore
Level 6

sounds like expected behaviour for active/passive.