Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle user backup

pkatakdound
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi  Team,

I  am  performimg user backup  from oracle  client  which  completed  successfully  but  not  showing  me  data in catalog.

I  could  list  backup  images  through  bplist  command  from  oracle client

I  want to know  is  this  expected  behaviour  or  problem . If  this  is  expected  please  let  me  know how  I  can  restore  backup images.

I  am looking  for  answers  with technote  so  that  I  can justify  it

Regards

Prajyot K

pkatakdound@hitachi-systems-mc.com

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What do you mean with this statement? 

' ... user backup  from oracle  client  which  completed  successfully  but  not  showing  me  data in catalog.'

bplist command is getting the info from NBU catalog.

If you are looking in BAR GUI - this is not the place to browse or restore Oracle backups.

Oracle browse and restore can only be done from the oracle client - using bplist for browse and restore using the same 'rman' tool as for the backups.

Oracle restore procedure is covered in NetBackup for Oracle Administrator's Guide 

Oracle restores should be done by Oracle DBA, not backup admin.

*** EDIT ***

Correction - bplist can be used to browse on master and on client.

rman on the client is used for backup and restore.

pkatakdound
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi  Marianne

Thank  you  for  information provided. I  understood  catalog information is  there with master  server  and  bplist command  fetch it  from master  server.

If  my  client gets crashed  how i can search my backup set , media used  and  restore  the same.

Regards

Prajyot K

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Restore steps are listed in the manual....

Client crash need multiple steps to recover. There is never a quick and easy process.

The dba/server team will need to ensure that a suitable replacement machine exists with correct specs and OS, Oracle and NBU client software installed and oracle linking done. 
Ensure comms are working correctly between master, media and replacement machine. 
Run test Oracle backup to ensure everything is working correctly as far as Oracle and NBU config and comms are concerned.

Run bpimagelist or bplist on master to locate/identify most recent backup.
You can also use bpimagelist to locate media.
bpimagelist -media -client <client-name> -pt Oracle -d <start-date> -U 

If Oracle dba is using rman catalog, he/she can also search this catalog for latest backup and media.

Restore must be done by the dba using rman. 
All you need to ensure is that media is in the robot, that tape drive is available and that Client Read Timeout on media server is long enough to allow for Oracle to create and initialize dbs...