cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle with windows backup failing with ORA-27211: Failed to load Media Management Library

Chan_backup
Level 5

Hi,

Master : Linux / Media - Windows (NBU 7.5.0.6)

Client: windows 2008 R2 64 bit (NBU 7.5.0.6)

Backup fails with below error, schedule from window scheduler/client not from netbackup.

no jobs generated at the netbackup activity monitor.

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03009: failure of allocate command on t1 channel at 11/10/2016 18:08:00
ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type: SBT_TAPE, device name:
ORA-27211: Failed to load Media Management Library

I know how to resolve the issue in Unix server but windows its bit tricky.

what is library file for windows?

where it is located?

how to do linking in windows?

after googling i found this file orasbt.dll, please confirm is this the lib file integrated with netbackup?

i put the file in netbackup/bin directory and restarted the nbu services also reinstalled the software, nothing worked.

What could be issue.

any help would be highly appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

PatS729
Level 5

I had observed this error if you install 32bit Oracle on 64bit Windows ? Is that the same case with you ? If yes, then please note that its not supported, perhaps you must install 64bit Oracle.

both OS and Oracle are 64 bit

NBU for Windows installs the database plugin as a .dll. The only requirement for Oracle on Windows to use the NBU library is a restart of Oracle Services so that RMAN will use the NBU library/dll.

Hope it helps.

Restarted the oracle services also no luck.

do you know which dll file is used and where it is located?

Extract from NBU for Oracle manual:

\Program Files\Common Files\VeritasShared\orasbt.dll : Provides functions that can be called by RMAN.

p. 31 & 32 of the manual tells you to ensure that NBU client (or server) software is installed on the Oracle server, to add the license key on the master and to restart Oracle services on the Oracle server.

If this doesnt help then enable following logs on Client and run backup

1. Open Client Properties from Master and increase VERBOSE = 5.

2. Ensure log directory <install_path>\veritas\NetBackup\logs\dbclient

i dont see any path as such

i can see only C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\....no .dll under that.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

the library on Windows must be here: c:\Windows\System32\orasbt.dll.

It is also documented in NBU 7.5 Oracle Admin Guide, page 155 (location stated above is not correct).

Regards

Michal

Have seen this when installing/upgrading Netbackup and not rebooting after on some Windows machines.

Some times the problem can be fixed by copying the orasbt.dll directly into system32

Sorry been a while, so can't remember where it is located originally

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne2
Level 4

You say that " Backup fails with ... window scheduler/client not from netbackup."

Does this mean that the backup works when scheduled from NetBackup?

Are you using custom RMAN script or one of the sample scripts provided with NBU client installation?

Hi,

the issue has been resolved, orastb.dll is curroupted it seems, i have replaced that and backup went fine.