cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order in which clients are picked up by NetBackup

RahulK1
Level 1

Can someone please help me in understanding the pattern in which NetBackup picks up the client for backups. Say for example if I have 100 clients in a policy and there is a limit of 20 jobs on that policy. I would like to know which are the first 20 clients that will be picked up for bakcup. Do they appear in the order in which they are entered in the policy?

3 REPLIES 3

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

seems that both in Policy Client tab, and also during scheduled policy runs, client are ordered and picked up for backups alphabetically.

IMHO this can be simply verified by your own tests or observations.

Regards

Michal

Genericus
   VIP   

Yes, and No. 

Technically, the policy stores the clients in a file, that is the order they are read. 

I have in the past, manually edited that file since I had a specific server I wanted to run last, and it worked fine.

on my unix {netbackup install]/db/class/POLICYNAME/clients

# cat clients
lorenzo Solaris Solaris10 0 1 0 0 *NULL*
med01usnp Solaris Solaris10 0 1 0 0 *NULL*
med02usnp Solaris Solaris10 0 1 0 0 *NULL*
med03usnp Solaris Solaris10 0 1 0 0 *NULL*
inn01dt-backup Solaris Solaris10 0 1 0 0 *NULL*
inn02dt-backup Solaris Solaris10 0 1 0 0 *NULL*
inn03dt-backup Solaris Solaris10 0 1 0 0 *NULL*
#VMD5_DIGEST=52 b8 d4 e2 ee c7 b5 f7 08 77 98 f4 7e bd 41 bd

WARNING - be very carefull with these files, also, it can take 10-15 minutes to update within netbackup.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Genericus
   VIP   

Oh - if you go to the clients tab of the policy, you can sort a number of ways - this will also update the file, so you can sort be name and os, etc.

If you edit the client file, you MUST be aware that if you EVER save the policy, it will update that clients file to be whatever the sort is within the Client tab in the GUI, so you have to re-edit the file.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS