cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PBX process not getting automatically started in solaris after reboot

sysahamed
Level 4

PBX process not getting automatically started in solaris after reboot. This issue arised after the media server crash & we restored the server from backup. I checked the link /etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged & it is pointing to /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/vxpbx_exchanged so there is no link issue. The only thing i notice is the group name of the link /etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged is incorrect & it has group name also has root while in other media server it has a group name of other. I tried to change the group name & it is not getting changed. So i have to manually start the PBX process every time. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Presumably you're restarting just by running the script that should be run by init & that is working?

You say the link is there in /etc/init.d, is the actual startup link still there in rc2.d?

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

sysahamed
Level 4

Solaris 10.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What version of Solaris ?

What does this command show ?

svcs |grep -i pbx

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Thanks, can you try that command for me also ?

Sorry, forgot to ask, what version of NBU ?

Martin

sysahamed
Level 4

I tried svcs but svcs returned nothing.I checked in other media servers also & it returned nothing. Netbackup version is 6.5

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Presumably you're restarting just by running the script that should be run by init & that is working?

You say the link is there in /etc/init.d, is the actual startup link still there in rc2.d?

sysahamed
Level 4

Yes you are correct Wendy & the problem is in /etc/rc2.d as they are pointing to invalid links. I will go ahead & change the same. 

Thanks Andy.....

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Good point Andy, there should be a link in /etc/rc2.d that points to /etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged

Something like :

/etc/rc2.d/S10pbx >  /etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, guess it is different at 6.5, as opposed to 7, where PBX is started by svcs.

I would be tempted to just reinstall PBX - probably the quickest solution.

Martin

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

"Yes you are correct Wendy"

Please, I'm only called Wendy on a weekend! laugh

***EDIT***

Don't forget to check the other links:

./rc0.d/K45vxpbx_exchanged
./rc1.d/K45vxpbx_exchanged
./rcS.d/K45vxpbx_exchanged

sysahamed
Level 4

Oops i mixed ur first name & last name...Only concern is i am not able to the group name of these link files.  I guess pbx will startup eventhough i dont change the ownership of these link files ..

Thanks Andy...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
# find . -name "*pbx*" -exec ls -l {} \;
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         32 Sep 11  2007 ./init.d/vxpbx_exchanged -> /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/vxpbx_exchanged
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         27 Sep 11  2007 ./rc0.d/K45vxpbx_exchanged -> /etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         27 Sep 11  2007 ./rc1.d/K45vxpbx_exchanged -> /etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         27 Sep 11  2007 ./rc2.d/S45vxpbx_exchanged -> /etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         27 Sep 11  2007 ./rcS.d/K45vxpbx_exchanged -> /etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged

Yours s/be the same?

sysahamed
Level 4

They are same but the only difference is the group name for these link files is root(current) instead of other(original).

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          32 Aug  7 13:53 ./etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged -> /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/vxpbx_exchanged

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          27 Aug 13 14:40 ./etc/rc0.d/K45vxpbx_exchanged -> /etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          27 Aug 13 14:45 ./etc/rc1.d/K45vxpbx_exchanged -> /etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          27 Aug 13 12:51 ./etc/rc2.d/S45vxpbx_exchanged -> /etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          27 Aug 13 14:36 ./etc/rcS.d/K45vxpbx_exchanged -> /etc/init.d/vxpbx_exchanged

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Can't see that as a problem (unless you're telling us different?).

In all honesty, the actual underlying permissions & ownership of the targets themselves would be more important anyway (which will be the same as that for the pbx script anyway):

# find . -name "*pbx*" -exec ls -lL {} \;
-r-xr-x---   1 root     bin         9075 Aug 21  2008 ./init.d/vxpbx_exchanged
-r-xr-x---   1 root     bin         9075 Aug 21  2008 ./rc0.d/K45vxpbx_exchanged
-r-xr-x---   1 root     bin         9075 Aug 21  2008 ./rc1.d/K45vxpbx_exchanged
-r-xr-x---   1 root     bin         9075 Aug 21  2008 ./rc2.d/S45vxpbx_exchanged
-r-xr-x---   1 root     bin         9075 Aug 21  2008 ./rcS.d/K45vxpbx_exchanged
# ls -l /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/vxpbx_exchanged
-r-xr-x---   1 root     bin         9075 Aug 21  2008 /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/vxpbx_exchanged

sysahamed
Level 4

Andy thanks a lot for all your suggestions....I can check this only when i get system downtime but i believe the issue got fixed...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

No problem.

I can check this only when i get system downtime

If you're anything like us - speak to you in a year or so then!

sysahamed
Level 4

Andy i found the solution for changing the group name of the link files...Need to use -h option with chgrp for changing the group name of link files. A snippet of the chgrp man page below...

-h       If the file is a symbolic link, this option changes
              the  group  of  the  symbolic  link.  Without  this
              option, the group of the  file  referenced  by  the
              symbolic link is changed.