cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PBX

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Everybody,

Got a questions about PBX and having multiple IP interfaces on a server. How, if at all, can we control/prioritize which IP address PBX attaches to. Has anybody noticed this before? Yesterday I did an upgrade from 7.0 to 7.0.1 and PBX attached to the incorrect IP. This in turn caused a system wide backup failures since it attached to a 169.x.x.x (windows generated DHCP address). The system has a bunch of NIC's that aren't used but still have DHCP configured (which never receive an IP).

My advice to the client was to remove/disable IPv4 from the NIC settings, run bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache, run bptestbpcd -host "master". That worked but what would be done if there were actually valid IPs that we couldn't disable. I've seen this before at another client with a multitude of IP addresses.

I don't see the REQUIRED NETWORK INTERFACE helping in this situation (which by the way is confgured on the master) since PBX and NetBackup don't share configuration info??

So, can we tell PBX what IPs to use with a configuration file/registry etc?

NetBackup 7.0.1

Windows 2008

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

The vxlogview command can be used to view PBX and other unified logs. The product ID for ICS is 50936 and the originator ID for PBX is 103.  The following example will display all PBX logs for the last 24 hours:
# vxlogview -p 50936 -o 103 -t 24:00:00

Check netstat -a output also to see what host/ip pbx service is attaching to.

Increase your debug level to see whats happening.

For more insight see http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44582

Get them to run the nbsu utility and send you the output. Can be good to see the environment in a remote situation.

nbsu_info.txt is very good at showing network interface info about the server.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply, but is there anyway of configuring what it attaches to. In my case I know for certain its attaching to the wrong IP because when I ran bptestbpcd -host "master" it came back with a bunch of 169.x.x.x comms (all successful).

When it was in this state you couldn't open the master's host properties nor any of the clients.

In the other site the customer had about 6 different vlan's configured (monitoring, management, etc) of which only one had comms to the clients.

Its like PBX just attaches to all of them, I've seen it in the logs, but it doesn't know what the host name is so it messes up comms.

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

The admin guide talks about binding orders. Also you could setup a static routing table.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Binding order as in Avanced options in the Network properties of Windows? I think i tried that at the previous site I was referring to.

Static routes are not required and will not help. If the pbx binds to a 169.x.x.x DHCP address no amount of routing will get you of the box. Also note that regular network functionality isn't affected. PING, Lookups, etc work fine. Its only PBX that binds to that address and messes up NetBackup comms.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

RiaanBadenhorst

I'll have the client test that, thanks