cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Opened don't backup

HEMANPR
Level 6

Hello

We have a File Server where the user save all the PST files and Then attach from the File Server to the user outlook.

I have a direct policy for backup the PST files. But when I check the backup, I don't see the Files attached on Outlook. I just view the files was not opened (Attached) on outlook.

How can I backup PST files attached on Outlook?

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Details about client, please....
OS?
NBU version?
WOFB enabled for this client?
Do you have bpfis and bpbkar logs for this backup?

HEMANPR
Level 6

OS? Windows 2008
NBU version? Master Server 7.5.0.4 Client 7.1
WOFB enabled for this client? Yes

Do you have bpfis and bpbkar logs for this backup? YES

I go to upload when a new test backup Finish

HEMANPR
Level 6

Logs Files from Client

Marianne

Errors seen in log files:

bpfis:

15:17:12.387 [4952.6232] <32> bpfis: FTL - VfMS error 11; see following messages:
15:17:12.387 [4952.6232] <32> bpfis: FTL - Fatal method error was reported
15:17:12.387 [4952.6232] <32> bpfis: FTL - vfm_freeze_commit: method: VSS, type: FIM, function: VSS_gentree
15:17:12.387 [4952.6232] <32> bpfis: FTL - VfMS method error 1054; see following message:
15:17:12.387 [4952.6232] <32> bpfis: FTL - snapshot services: snapshot target analysis failed: resource not claimed by any provider.

bpbkar:

3:17:14.949 PM: [6084.7176] <4> V_Snapshot::V_Snapshot_CreateSnapshot: INF - Snapshot creation was not successful
3:17:14.949 PM: [6084.7176] <4> V_Snapshot::V_Snapshot_CreateSnapshot: INF - ======================================================================
3:17:14.949 PM: [6084.7176] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: INF - Volume snapshots not enabled

Please show output of folleing command on the client:

vssadmin list volumes

RLeon
   VIP   

I don't see the Files attached on Outlook.

That is normal. The PST files were still opened (locked) by the Outlook process during backup. They were therefore skipped.

I just view the files was not opened (Attached) on outlook.

Exactly. Because these PST files were not opened during the backup, Netbackup could back them up successfully.

I don't think NetBackup has ever been able to backup locked PST files.
It could either be because Nbu's VSS Requestor never calls the right VSS Writers for Outlook, or Outlook does not have a working VSS Writer to be called.

Netbackup DLO (Desktop Laptop Option) however, has been able to backup locked PST files since version 6.1 MP5. It would seem they have worked out a solution to the Outlook VSS Writer problem:
  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125061

DLO is now a standalone product line and is no longer (directly) related to Netbackup.

HEMANPR
Level 6

VSSADMIN Command Results

HEMANPR
Level 6

RLeon What about if the files was saved on a File Server?

Where I need to install the DLO? In the file server or in the user pc?

Any other option for backup pst files opened?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Due to the nature of the lock Outlook has on PST files it is unlikely that you will have success backing up open PST files - and if you did they may not be consistent if you tried to restore them anyway.

Some of my client have the PST file localed on the users machine and use their login scripts to copy them up to a location on the file server occasionally (once a week or so) - this allows them to be backed up without the lock

The other option is to employ Enterprise Vault to remove the PST files altogther as they are a real headache to have on your network as every time Outlook is opened all PST files are touched and so get backed up in full even during an incremental backup

Perhaps the best way is to look at your PST storage to make everything more efficient all round - it will certainly save you a huge amount of backed up data

Hope this helps

RLeon
   VIP   

In addtional to Mark's suggestions. There was once a post here about using the bpstart_notify and bpend_notify scripts to shutdown outlook on the client computers during backup.
(Look up the *notify scripts in the Nbu admin guide if you don't know about them)

I couldn't find that post anymore, but it goes something like this:
1. Backup schedule kicks off
2. Master server remotely triggers a script on client computers that gracefully shuts down Outlook.
3. Backup PST files successfully. (Because they are not locked)
4. After the backup, another script is triggered to restart Outlook.

If you decide to go through this route, you will have to work out the scripts yourself...
Be careful with the backup schedule so people won't get their Outlook shut off when they're using it.

This method could be complicated and error prone.

Another way would be to simply tell the users to close their Outlook when they finish work, or find a way to enforce such a user policy; do this instead of trying to use elaborate methods to solve human/procedure problems.

As for DLO, as I said, it is a separated product, please refer to its admin guide:
  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5268

You may also want to visit the DLO forum:
  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/forums/desktop-laptop-option

Marianne
PSTs are on File server, so, notify scripts on the file server will not be able to close and open Outlook on users' desktops. I fully agree with 'Another way would be to simply tell the users to close their Outlook when they finish work, or find a way to enforce such a user policy.' Make it clear: Open pst, no backup.

HEMANPR
Level 6

Well

I just going to create a PST files weekly backup on saturday and friday night the user was responsable for close his outlook.

I think thats the best way. Thanks for all yours messages about this issue.