cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pause SLP writes to tape for quick restores?

Steve_Law
Level 4

Hi,

Our customer is visiting tomorrow to audit our tape processes and wants to see a few restores performed. The problem is our writes to tape are relatively slow (only a 1gigabit LAN), we have four tape drives and individual SLPs can use a single tape drive for hours at a time. I need a way to pause all SLP writes to tape so a tape drive is freed up for a restore. I've tried this command to deactivate use of the tape drive STU for SLPs:

nbstlutil inactive -destination bc11n1v1-hcart-robot-tld-2

This appears to have pasued all SLPs as there is no longer any writing to tape going on, but the SLPs are still active and the restore is just sitting there.

Am I doing this wrong? What's the best way to quickly free up a tape drive without cancelling an SLP?

We're on Netbackup Enterprise 7.5.0.6.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Pausing an SLP stops any new SLP jobs from being queued for that particular SLP definition/policy.  It does not stop/pause any currently active jobs which themselves may still contain zero, one, or more "images" yet to be duplicated/replicated/managed.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What storage is used for backups (copy 1 image)?

If disk, there is no need to pause duplications. Restore can be done from disk while duplication is active.

If VTL, sorry. Cannot be done. 

I have asked in this IDEA for the ability to suspend active duplications:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/storage-lifecycle-policies-slp-scheduling-windows-are-... 

This feature was not included in NBU 7.6 SLP enhancements.

sdo

Pausing won't immediately free up a tape drive.  A few hours before the customer arrives, reduce the concurrent write drive count of teh storage unit (e.g. reduce from 4 to 3) so that one drive is free for restores by the time the customer arrives on site.

Steve_Law
Level 4

Thanks Marianne but this is a tape audit so I need to restore from tape. Our disk retention is only 6 weeks anyway so any backups older than that must come from tape.

Steve_Law
Level 4

Well that would work! Thanks.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Please consider to mark SDO suggestion as a "solution" if it solved your issue.

Steve_Law
Level 4

In that case, what does nbstlutil inactive -destination bc11n1v1-hcart-robot-tld-2 actually do?

I need to reset the tape drives on one site, could I use the above to pause the SLPs, reset the drives then unpause the SLPs?

sdo

Pausing an SLP stops any new SLP jobs from being queued for that particular SLP definition/policy.  It does not stop/pause any currently active jobs which themselves may still contain zero, one, or more "images" yet to be duplicated/replicated/managed.

Steve_Law
Level 4

Thanks people!

Genericus
   VIP   

You might also shrink the number of partially full tapes to match, because I am pretty sure you will need to re-expand the storage unit to allow the restore to use it. Don't want a queued dupication to grab it!

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS