cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance issue on Disk Storage Unit

NBU2010
Level 6

Dear Forum,

Backing up data on disk storage (SAN - VNX) space getting very less performance speed.

Speed is only 6-7 MB per stream and there is 18 streams in each backup job.

I am on Solaris 11 Master/Media and Client is W2K12 R2.

Whereas on the same setup when i backup some different data over tape the speed is around 40-50 Mbps per stream.

Following is set on Media  server

Number Data Buffers : 64

Size Data Buffers : 256

Is there any other paramater to be set for Disk Storage Unit for high performance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can expect to get 75MB/sec per 4+1 stripe sustained (Write cache can cheat you).

Doing more than 70MB/sec require striping across LUN volumes combining the write capability of multiple LUN's.

Try reducing the number of concurrent write steam to disk to see if performance increases.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

NBU2010
Level 6

Searching more on this, i came across NUMBER DATA BUFFERS DISK and Size, that i have set to 64 & 512.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Whereas on the same setup when i backup some different data over tape the speed is around 40-50 Mbps per stream.<<< why not try backup the slow data to tape and compare? Stating that other data is quick is pointless. The data is not the same, so your logic proves nothing.

Marianne

I am battling to understand what exactly the data path is.

If Master/Media and Client is W2K12 R2 where does Solaris 11 fit in the picture? 

Are you backing up clients across the network? 
Which type of NIC in the master/media server?

If you have a 1 Gb NIC in the media server, then 6-7MB/sec * 18 streams give a  total throughput of over 100MB/sec - the max that a 1GB NIC can accommodate....

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

How is the storage prsented from the VNX, as LUN in a raid pool or dedicated 4+1 stripes ?

NBU2010
Level 6

Yes, i am backing up Exchange data over network on this Solaris Media server havaing 10GB NIC.

and yes the VNX is presented as LUN dedicated 4+1 stripes.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can expect to get 75MB/sec per 4+1 stripe sustained (Write cache can cheat you).

Doing more than 70MB/sec require striping across LUN volumes combining the write capability of multiple LUN's.

Try reducing the number of concurrent write steam to disk to see if performance increases.

Marianne

Log folders to troubleshoot NBU transfer rates:

On media server: bptm

On client: bpbkar

Always best to use OS and network utilities to test all components in the backup path:
1) Read speed from disk on the client 
2) Write speed to backup storage on the media server
3) Network transfer between client and media server

See: 

The NetBackup Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide, Release 7.5 and Release 7.6 
 http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC7449

NBU2010
Level 6

Yes ...logged the folders...but no improvement seen for further analysis.

Marianne
The purpose of the logs is to determine where the bottleneck is. Check the initial buffer setup and the result at the end where 'waited for full/empty buffers ' is logged.