Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permision denied 13

blanco_adalbert
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello Everybody!!

I would like to know if could be posible to run backups as non root on Linux.

The enviroment is as follow.

The master server is installed on Redhat and the netbackup verion is 7.5.0.5

We have a NAS storage mounted as NFS on the master server for backing up NAS information. At operating system root user can not read files but other users can do it.

so when I run the backup I got the error 

10:09:26.265 [5933] <4> bpbrm main: from client S01NETAGNPN01: TRV - Cannot process path [/RMAN_BKP_NAS/PORTACTP/PORTACTP_full_nrph3ru8_1_1.bck]: [Permission denied]. Skipping
10:09:26.276 [5933] <4> bpbrm main: from client S01NETAGNPN01: TRV - Cannot process path [/RMAN_BKP_NAS/PORTACTP/PORTACTP_full_nsph3ru9_1_1.bck]: [Permission denied]. Skipping
10:09:26.286 [5933] <4> bpbrm main: from client S01NETAGNPN01: TRV - Cannot process path [/RMAN_BKP_NAS/PORTACTP/PORTACTP_full_ntph3rus_1_1.bck]: [Permission denied]. Skipping
10:09:26.296 [5933] <4> bpbrm main: from client S01NETAGNPN01: TRV - Cannot process path [/RMAN_BKP_NAS/PORTACTP/PORTACTP_full_nuph3rut_1_1.bck]: [Permission denied]. Skipping

Is it posible to run backup as non root user on the master server?

Best regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

in linux its not poosible to run as other users ..

only root is alllowed to run...

but you have an alternat way... 

have a  look at Marianne comment below link

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/account-used-netbackup-perform-backups#comment-9478221

###copy from Marianne comment ####

"You may want to create a crontab for this account to backup the files with bpbackup command.

Add a User type schedule to existing policy with open window during which user backup will be allowed.

bpbackup command will look similar to this:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbackup -p <policy-name> -s <user-schedule-name> -L /path/logfile-name /filesystem-path"

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RamNagalla

in linux its not poosible to run as other users ..

only root is alllowed to run...

but you have an alternat way... 

have a  look at Marianne comment below link

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/account-used-netbackup-perform-backups#comment-9478221

###copy from Marianne comment ####

"You may want to create a crontab for this account to backup the files with bpbackup command.

Add a User type schedule to existing policy with open window during which user backup will be allowed.

bpbackup command will look similar to this:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbackup -p <policy-name> -s <user-schedule-name> -L /path/logfile-name /filesystem-path"

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

People often do this on Windows when they need to set the client service as a specific account .. I am not a great unix person but i would imagine it would cause real issues due to the structure of unix, the authentication engien etc.

I would have thought that NBU would need to have been installed as that user initially to have this work .. sure Martin or Marianne will come along and put me right!!

Do you have a Windows client that could have the location mapped to it? That would make life a lot simpler.

blanco_adalbert
Level 5

Thanks for your quickly reply.

I have read before the marianes post but when i try to run the backup the result is the same. 

Do I need to have special schedule type, i me user backup.

Best regards

RamNagalla

yes.. that is want Marianne said in her post

"Add a User type schedule to existing policy with open window during which user backup will be allowed."

blanco_adalbert
Level 5

Hello, I have done it but when I try to run the backup I got this error.

user id was not superuser
EXIT STATUS 140: user id was not superuser

Best regards

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Root on NFS is normally mapped to the nobody account. You can however specify that root can map to the root account by using the no_root_squash option.

You  need to the NFS vendors documentation on how to set the no_root_squash option

For reference:

http://linux.die.net/man/5/exports

http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s06.html

blanco_adalbert
Level 5

Hello, all

I have done the backup using a User Backup schedule.  But it only runs as a full backup, are there any way tu run User Backup as incremental backup?

Best regards

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Why on earth are you asking questions if you then mark your post as solution??????

If a User backup was successful, then you need to mark Nagalla's post as solution.
The post he referred you to was for a User backup.

A User backup will work if the owner of the files run the bpbackup command for User backup...

blanco_adalbert
Level 5

Sorry, 

Mariane You are rigth but I donk know how to mark Magalla's answer as a solution.

Nagalla, Can you help me to mark the answer as a solution.

Best regards