cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please enter a valid Hyper-V machine name

thesanman
Level 6

I have a Hyper-V server running a number of VM's.  Server is running 2012 R2 Hyper-V Core version; the powershell only one.

Server has had the NBU v7.5.0.6 client installed and configured.  Master server and Media server is also v7.5.0.6.

When I try and configure a Hyper-V policy it fails when trying to validate the client as a Hyper-V host with the pop up box "Please enter a valid Hyper-V machine name".

Examining the bpVMutil logs on the Hyper-V server shows the following:

15:19:22.263 [2680.3780] <2> logparams: C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpVMutil.exe 768 _NONE_ _NONE_

15:19:22.263 [2680.3780] virt_test_log: log function is called

15:19:22.263 [2680.3780] <2> bpVMutil main: cmd = 3 ESXMount = _NONE_ ESXserver = _NONE_, flags = 0

15:19:22.263 [2680.3780] <2> bpVMutil main: ListHyperVVMs returned -1

15:19:22.263 [2680.3780] <2> bpVMutil main: EXIT STATUS 0: the requested operation was successfully completed

It is as if the ListHyperVVMs function within bpVMutil is returning no VM's found but there are; they are 6 and all are up and running!

This is not the first Hyper-V policy I have; in fact I have a good number.  One other policy is running Win2012 R2 so I know that all works but not this time around.

For the purpose of the exercise windows firewall has been disabled.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Malcolm

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

as per the 7.x  Virtual machine Compatibility Guide ,NetBackup 7.5.0.6 adds support for Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012. it does not mention for the R2. so its out of support as of now

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

muhanad_daher
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello,

what the ports that you opened between your media server and Hyper -V server? 902 should open

in your policy - Hyper-v tab, what you select in primary VM id? VM host name best choice.

thesanman
Level 6

As I travelled home I wondered; is Win 2012 R2 actually supported yet?  I know I said above I already had one but that was not the case; I had Win 2012 Hyper-V server, not R2.

rk1074
Level 6
Partner

as per the 7.x  Virtual machine Compatibility Guide ,NetBackup 7.5.0.6 adds support for Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012. it does not mention for the R2. so its out of support as of now

thesanman
Level 6

Yes; support have also confirmed no R2 support as yet.  It is slated for a future v7.6.0.x release which of course means a full Master and Media server upgrade cycle.

Oh well; back to individual client backups for the moment.

knbu
Level 4

I am using Netbackup 6.5.0.6 enterprise & configuring the Hyper-V new backup policy. The host is having a operating system Microsoft Windows server 2012-R2 datacenter. I am getting the error while creating a policy that "please enter a valid hyper-v machine name". Can anybody please help me to get this fixed.

thesanman
Level 6

Please read my last post; Win2012-R2 is not yet supported.  Support is slated for a future v7.6.0.x release.