cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Master server to seperate backup NIC on client

Anthony1238
Level 2

I am currently having a performance issue with a VM client backup running extreamly slow that is located on a DMZ. For testing purposes and for future rollouts we want to create a Backup network to bypass the firewall to see if that is the issue. We created a second virtual NIC on the VM and gave it an address on the same subnet as the Master. Will I need to alter my host file on the Master to point it to the new NIC and clear the Host Cache with bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache ? Is there a better way to configure a Static route to the new NIC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Will you want to be forcing ALL of the NetBackup traffic down one NIC?

If so you can add

REQUIRED_INTERFACE = <ip of backup interface of client> in the clients /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf

(or for Windows clients in Host Properties -> Clients -> <double click client> -> Universal Settings > Use specified network interface)

It is preferred to use the PREFERRED_NETWORK directive in the technote I posted earlier, but REQUIRED_INTERFACE is fine if you do not want some traffic for NetBackup down 1 interface and some other traffic routing down another interface.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Add the new IP of the client to the Master  and any media servers responsible for backing it up?

That would work. Alternatively you could use the PREFERRED_NETWORK if there are multiple routes to the same host. So the master uses a different network JUST for that client or clients.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO60779

I would just change the IP of the client fon the Master/Media servers myself to the new backup IP

Anthony1238
Level 2

Thank you, Going forward what would be best practice for clients after we establish a backup network? From what i gather it would be adding a new DNS entry for each server pointing to the second NIC with the backup network address, for example a server is being backed up currently named Anthony1238.xxxx.com, I would make a new Static DNS entry called Anthony1238.xxxx.com.Backup for example that points to the backup network. 

Would this be the best route or is there a better alternative ?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Will you want to be forcing ALL of the NetBackup traffic down one NIC?

If so you can add

REQUIRED_INTERFACE = <ip of backup interface of client> in the clients /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf

(or for Windows clients in Host Properties -> Clients -> <double click client> -> Universal Settings > Use specified network interface)

It is preferred to use the PREFERRED_NETWORK directive in the technote I posted earlier, but REQUIRED_INTERFACE is fine if you do not want some traffic for NetBackup down 1 interface and some other traffic routing down another interface.