Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point in time Oracle DB Restore problem

vandajoey
Level 2
Certified
Hi,

I tried to restore the oracle database to the specific point in time which is used the cold backup approach on Netbakcup 6.5.4, and I used the netbackup restore wizard with the specific SCN: 1005400 (backup set: bkxxxx969). After the restore completed, the oralce datbase alter database open resetlogs. The database restore successful and all is ok.

After that I tried to restore the oracle database to the most recent backup sets, but the view status still show restore to this backup set (backup set: bkxxxx969) rather than (backup set: bkxxxx168).

I still can see most recent backup set and SCN in rman, even I restore the oracle datbase which this specific SCN, and the restore still is backup set: bkxxxx969.

Please advice how to handle this point in time advice.

2 REPLIES 2

Will_Restore
Level 6
"This is used when the old backup (offline or online) and the set of archived logs will not be used in the future. Using 'resetlog' you begin a new 'incarnation' of the backups:"

"Because the database will not apply an archived log to a datafile unless the RESETLOGS SCN and time stamps match, the RESETLOGS prevents you from corrupting datafiles with archived logs that are not from direct parent incarnations of the current incarnation."

per this link:
www.experts-exchange.com/Database/Oracle/Q_23487760.html

vandajoey
Level 2
Certified
Hi,

Thank you so much for your advice. Do we need to restore the point in time control file, then restore the point in time backup image each time.