Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Policy Manager waiting over 30 minutes in RHEL

Koven1
Level 4

Hi

I've a similar problem to this.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/policy-manager-slow-java-console

I don't know what's going on when I create a new policy, i.e. the catalog backup, and I want to get into policy manager section there's a sand clock always waiting, I don't know what it's waiting for.

My netbackup server version is 7.6.0.2 (I've tried with 7.6.0.1 and it's the same behaviour) RH Linux 6.6, I can see netbackup policies with bpadm command, that's how I delete it and I realize is some problem with policy creation. BTW it's a fresh installation, so I've uninstalled Netbackup a couple of times to check if there was some problem in installation time.

I really don't know how to troubleshoot this problem, when I can check logs, sniffer like tcpdump, or what else to do because I've been reading about DNS reverse lookups and stuff like that but it's a really strange problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No, I don't think one vCPU is enough. Try bumping it up to 8. There are around 19 seperate processes that are required to run simultaneously on a master server. You don't want them all time slicing on a single core.

I would advise you to use physical servers in your final deployment if you want to see good performance and reasonable backup times.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Do you see NBSL process is running fine in Master server?

what is the CPU utilizations on the master ?

Koven1
Level 4

Hi

nbsl is running fine in master server.

And the processes are these in a top output, no resources problems

Screenshot from 2014-11-04 11:17:32.png

So I'm thinking there's some DNS problem but all the names resolution work fine.

I've just two policies, one of the is for catalog and the other one is for Vmware, some vm hadn't installed vmtools but I don't think it's related to this problem, so I'd really want to know what netbackup is doing during that long waiting.

Thanks!

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Have you tried accessing this master server from a Windows Admin console?

You could isolate Java that way.

Koven1
Level 4

Hi INT_RND

I've a problem with Netbackup Console, after installing it in windows, I usually connect from Linux, and I've firewall problem and it's hard to get new firewall port, so my only option is to have an ssh port forwarding but I don't know how to change that port in netbackup console

Can not connect to the NB-Java authentication service via VNETD on X.X.X.X
 on port 13724.  Exception:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

Thanks!

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have seen in the past how a file that did not belong in the class folder caused a similar issue.

Look under /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class
A long listing should only show directories that correspond with policy names. There should be no files.

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Network filtering could be causing all of your problems. You should work with your network security team instead of trying to work around them. The security team should understand the importance of backups. Netbackup requires a lot of port modifitaions so they need to get used to fulfilling your requests. If you can't open firewall ports then you can't do your job.

Submit this document to your network secuirty team:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136090

Koven1
Level 4

Hi

Unfortunately I could run netbackup console from Windows and I find same behaviour, a sand clock waiting for over 30 minutes and I can't use the console at all, I must wait all the time but remember this is only happening when I create any policy, mainly VMware policy I think is the one that is getting me into this troubles. Is there any kind of DNS reverse or somehitng I should look at?

Thanks!

BR

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Policy enumeration is resource intensive on the EMM server. VMWare policies include communication with the vCenter. Netbackup master servers require serious hardware and fast networks. What kind of hardware are you using?

Does your master server exceed the system requirements for Netbackup?

You need ~2GB of RAM per CPU core. So if you have 8 cores you should have 16GB of RAM.

None of that will matter if you have a slow network. How are your systems interconnected?

Koven1
Level 4

Ok let me tell you.

Master Server and Media Server is the same server is a VM running on VMware. The specs are 16 GB RAM, one vCPU, and there is not Library or Tape, we run backups to disk, 20 TB from a NAS, but as I was telling you this is a new deployment.

file.img                               8%  458MB  60.0MB/s   01:27 ETA

This is a test I just run between two VM, so the speed is about 1GB

And there's no latency about 0.4 ms but I will run these test between different components in the infrastructure to check if there's some kind of packet losses or similar.

Do you think 1 vCPU and 16 GB is enough?

Thanks!

Br

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No, I don't think one vCPU is enough. Try bumping it up to 8. There are around 19 seperate processes that are required to run simultaneously on a master server. You don't want them all time slicing on a single core.

I would advise you to use physical servers in your final deployment if you want to see good performance and reasonable backup times.

Koven1
Level 4

Thanks for your advice INT_RND, I'll tell VMware admin to put more vCPU.

This will be a netbackup full time but it's a recovery site, I mean it's a secondary site so it's not so critical to run smoothly, in primary site Netbackup Master Server is a physical one.

I'll tell you how the policy manager works with more vCPU and if it works better I'll mark your final answer as a solution.

Thanks!

BR

Koven1
Level 4

Thanks INT_RND 8vCPU was the solution for me just clicking policy icon and 5 seconds later I can see the policies.

Thanks for your time!

BR