cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Man's Quality of Service

DrDagorOne
Level 2
OK.... 

We are doing NBU with 6.5.x over a high speed LAN. Clients and media servers are not all in the same facility. Bandwidth between locations is HUGE! To make sure we are good citizens on the LAN the admins have put a throttle on our Ethernet connections. We get X hundred total Kbytes per second for all backup traffic.

Does anybody know of a way to put QoS marks or specialized port assignments on communications -- that's assignments beyond the handful of designated ports specified in the port guide? What I would like to do to best use our alotted bandwidth is give restores highest priority, hand shaking and admin very high priority, incremental backup intermediate priority, and full backups low priority.  (As long as the full backups complete in the backup window I don't much care how long they take.)

I gotta believe that as we move into more and more virtual and distributed environments, this sort of question will be heard more and more frequently. Any thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3

Christoph_Linde
Level 5
Employee
There is no QoS for NetBackup. That is partially a problem of IPV4 and Partially that no one sees the benefit of throttling NetBackup in any way.

Im sorry, there is no help for you.

Also there is no sense in using QoS for differentiating Restores and Backups ... They are running in different directions and therefore should not impact each other. I assume, that you have a full duplex network, right?

teiva-boy
Level 6
I'd recommend you upgrade to NBU7, and look to the deduplication option.  If doing client side dedupe, you'll reduce the amount of data sent over the wire dramatically.  

Outside of that, you can throttle client backups, but QoS/tagging and such, I've never seen anywhere in the console.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
At least I am not aware of customize QoS within NetBackup... may be your network team can look at pull vs push traffic and do QoS at that level for restore, just a thought.

How frequently do you perform restore across the buildings/locations and have you noticed running into network bandwidth contention during such restore.