cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Performance on VmWare

Kai2209
Level 4

Hi,

we are experiencing a very bad backup performmance on our vmware environment. We are using NB 8.0 on virt. Masterserver and a 5240 Appliance as Media Server. The Media Server and vmware are connected via 20Gbit to our network. 

External hosts out of vmware are runnig fine with at least 50Mbit/sec. depending on their nic but for all of our vmware hosts we do have a throughput of 10-15 Mbit/sec. sometimes less than that. 

Any ideas how to improve or what can be checked

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

found the solution. It was an issue on WmWare - misconfigured switch. No NetBackup Issue.

despite thanks hor your help!

regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Kai2209

Have you perhaps had a look at the NetBackup for VMware best practices  section in the manual? 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/21902280-127283730-0/v19546127-127283730

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

What you are experiencing is definitely not normal, and very likely not down to NetBackup per-se.  We all get far better performance than that.  You clearly have a networking (LAN and/or SAN) problem somewhere in the path of :

ESX -> vNIC -> vSwitch -> pNIC -> switch -> gateway -> firewall / filter ? -> switch -> pNIC -> NetBackup

But, without much much more detail from you regarding your versions (SAN and LAN), physical cabling (SAN and LAN), physical networking (SAN and LAN), and virtual networking (LAN), and configuration (SAN and LAN)... then there's not a lot any of us can say... sorry :(

first of all sorry for late response and thanks for your answers.

sure i read the NetBackup for VmWare best practices but there was no helpful hint :(

I understand that it is hard to help here without having a detailed knowledge of our environment. But what i am wondering is, when i use "nbperfchk" and send a 32Gb file from our vmware environment to the media server i get rates of avg. 750Mbit/sec. This means the process is 50 times faster than the backup process. So should not be a network issue. 

I am really lost here :(

Are there any log files helpful?

found the solution. It was an issue on WmWare - misconfigured switch. No NetBackup Issue.

despite thanks hor your help!

regards