cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor backup performance on CIFS Celerra shares

riker82
Level 3
Hi,
I've migrated one file server to my new NS-480 filer.

I cannot use NDMP cause in my DR site I haven't any Celerra that allow me to use NDMP. So I've to backup Cifs shares in "old" way.

But Backup performance are very very poor. I cannot reach more than 5 mb/s. Consider that my DM is connected with 3 interfaces in LACP and it works great since my "migration" reaches over 100 MB/s.

Seems to be something not well configured on "netbackup side" (version 6.5.4).

Can anybody help me?

PS: I've tried also to change robotic library with no success.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

riker82
Level 3
nobody that can help me?

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited

NDMP for NAS devices is always the BEST PRACTICE for backup. What you are doing is legacy backup and backup performance in this case is also not up-to-the-mark.

I has faced the similar issue in many NAS setup and enabling NDMP has helped me so far.

I'd also recommend you enabling the NDMP based backup for your NS-480 filer.

riker82
Level 3
Hi,
I've got already NDMP license. As I wrote, I can't use NDMP because I can't restore my datas in case of disaster.

I just know that best practise are to use ndmp, but I'm expecting to have the same performance of before (when datas were on windows server) at least. Isn't It?

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

i got it now.. can you be more elabrate on migration.. how  r u perfroming migration...

riker82
Level 3

I've performed migration with emcopy tool

Probably I've found the problem. I've tried to adjust NET_BUFFER_SZ parameter following the netbackup tuning guide.

According to this seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/245920.htm I can change better my parameters.. But I don't know how...

Changing NET_BUFFER_SZ to 256 now my backup speeds at twice... But How can I adjust for let it to running faster?

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
In the Windows environment, buffer size is a tricky creature.  For tape devices, the default is 64k.  Disk is 256k.  By changing these values, you maybe able to backup the data - but unable to restore.  The biggest bang for your buck is the "number of buffers".  For that, you just need memory - and an OS that will let you access it... 

riker82
Level 3
Does Windows allow to do it? Should I change I on the Netbackup Media or Master Server?

Cause I'm using media server to backing up those datas

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Set the number of buffers on the master and media servers.  You will find more information abouth this in the Performace Guide.

The filenames are:

number_data_buffers
number_data_buffers_restore

These are windows files (text format) without any extension.

riker82
Level 3
Ok, I'll do a test.

thanks!