cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor backup speed performance

abush
Not applicable
Hey everyone,

First I'd like to say I am pretty new to Netbackup so if I come off slow I apologize :) One of those, got dumped in your lap situation.

So to keep it short and sweet, we were running NBU 5.1 and in desperate need for an upgrade. We had a not new, but better server set aside for 6.5 ready to roll out, but no one had the time to do it, so when it got dumped in my lap I made it the first thing I did. For the most part I copied the 5.1 server settings and mimicked in 6.5. Since it has been working I figured what is the harm?

Well I am now faced with poor backup speeds. I can be backing up anywhere from 500kb to 5000kb. Depends on the server.  Right now I have a server with a few 100 gigs of info backing up at 4937kb a sec. It's elapsed time is 1 day, 19 hours + for a full backup that started over the weekend.  I know it is possible to make it faster. What really confuses me is this: I have one server that I ran a network cable from its gigabit nic to the gigabit nic on the NBU server. If it launches with the backup policy it runs at  4000-5000kb. If I go on the server, and initiate a user backup of a particular folder thats has 50gigs worth of info in it, it will back up at 22000kb - 250000kb and be done within 30mins or so. I've also verified the right NIC is being used when I was testing it.

I posted as much info I thought would help, with specs posted below, and would be glad to post any more at your request. Since the 5.1 server is still up I have reviewed some older job logs, and noticed it had the same problems, just no one to help fix them. Also I've been looking for the performance and tuning guide looking for some help as well. I am looking for any info/ideas/right paths to lead me down to get better speeds which I believe can be achieved. Thanks for any help you can provide :)

SPECS:

NBU 6.5.4 on a Windows 2003 server
Dual 3.4ghz processors with 5gigs of RAM
I have Multiplexing setup to stream 6 backups at a time: I thought it may be possible I was overloading the drive but it doesn't make sense to me for the speed not to pickup when I have one server left backing up and the rest are finished.

2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6

Hello,
Please do not dismiss this document simply because it has NB 6.x in its title. The principles also work for NB 5.x.
Use it to tune the master, media and clients for best throughput. It also helps identify bottle-necks.

Performance/Usage
- Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide for UNIX, Windows, and Linux (  http://support.veritas.com/docs/281842 )

Stumpr2
Level 6
Network connectivity tuning to avoid network read/write failures and increase performance
http://support.veritas.com/docs/304578