bpbkar--
bptm--
ltid--
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
All the ports can easily be seen under the Netbackup Security and Encryption Guide ( http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290226.htm), Chapter 3, Port Security, there you can see every setting and port that needs to be open, even in a Firewalled environment or not, and for test and learning is a very good tool.

Hope this give you some light.
Regards.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is your post a statement or a question.
If the latter I direct you to look at the operating system NetBackup installed and review the 'services' file for port numbers.

On UNIX /etc/services
Search on Windows it would be under your %WINDIR%

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
bprd    13720/tcp       bprd
bpdbm   13721/tcp       bpdbm
bpcd    13782/tcp       bpcd
bpjava-msvc     13722/tcp       bpjava-msvc
bpjobd  13723/tcp       bpjobd
Other use vnetd/PBX or not listen.

Luc_H
Level 3

For NBU 6.5 the legacy processes (the bp* ones) will not only listen to their traditional port numbers (as shown in the services file) they can also accept connections forwarded from vnetd (port 13724).

You can configure the CONNECT_OPTIONS to change the behavior of the legacy processes in this regard.
- vnetd, then direct (default)
- direct only
- vnetd only

With very few exceptions, most of the new nb* processes (nbpem, nbjm, nbrb, etc) all use the defined PBX port (1556 by default)

I hope this helps
Luc

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
All the ports can easily be seen under the Netbackup Security and Encryption Guide ( http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290226.htm), Chapter 3, Port Security, there you can see every setting and port that needs to be open, even in a Firewalled environment or not, and for test and learning is a very good tool.

Hope this give you some light.
Regards.

rookie11
   VIP   
HI thankx u all

but need not to put port no. for processes and mention services file i know already. 
I work on netbackup old versions so don't port no. related to  nb* processes .anyways thank omar!!!!!! and Luc

Pablo_B
Level 3
Okay then rookie11,
   Why did you post a list of processes with a title of "Port number for Netbackup 6.5 processes"?
Going back to Stuart Greens' comment then, is your post another question or is it a statement?

Omar gave a nice link to the Netbackup Security and Encryption Guide.   There are good examples of how Netbackup communicates to clients, admin consoles etc.. using well known ports and what processes are using these ports.  This is useful in troubleshooting communication issues, changing from default ports, adding random ports to open up access and laying out potential firewall issues if your Netbackup clients and servers cross firewall boundaries. This document has come in handy for me when troubleshooting issues. Combined with data from log files, it has been a valuable tool.
- Pablo_B

rjrumfelt
Level 6
All communication seems fine for the filesystem backup, however when we try to backup a DB on the server using the Oracle agent, we get what appears to be a connection error.

I was under the impression that all communication for 6.0+ took place through 13724, however I was reading one of the articles someone had written in the articles section stating that 13720 had to be opened for hot Oracle backups.  Could someone confirm?

My heart sank when I saw that because it takes an act of God and 2 years to get a new firewall request through around here.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
if I need to have 13720 opened for hot Oracle backups?

Or does brpd communicate through 13724

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited

In my notes I found:

If the client needs to run user backups/restores, this port will also need to be opened:
      Client >> Master
      13720  (bprd)

If database backups are done from the client, these ports will also need to be opened:
      Client >> Master
      13720  (bprd)
      13724  (vnetd)

Master >> Client
      13782  (bpcd)

-- not sure about this last one.

Luc_H
Level 3
Hi Even,

Master >> Client 13782 (via vnetd 13724)

Yes, these will need to be open as the master server processes need to update the progress logs on the client side. (which is especially important for rman based backups)

Luc.

rjrumfelt
Level 6

hot Oracle backups, while they may communicate over 13720, that communication still occurs via 13724.