cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly moving from Backup Exec 2012 to Netbackup 7.5 - will this work?

thezapman
Level 3

Hi all,

We're considering a move away from Backup Exec 2012 into Netbackup and I wanted to make sure we won't hit any snags. We've been backing up Windows Servers and NDMP backups with Backup Exec 2010/2012 for years now and I have concerns that Netbackup won't be able to read these tapes after the move, neutering our ability to complete file restores. The admin guide states that the Backup Exec Tape Reader only supports Backup Exec images from up to version 12, is this something we should be concerned about? Or are there ways around this to make tapes compatible with Netbackup while preserving data and catalog information?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

See Backup Exec Tape Reader CL:    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125836

The CL states that only up to BE version 12 can be imported as well as the following:

Future Plans
There are no plans to improve or expand coverage beyond the current capabilities, nor support any images after Backup Exec 12.  (There is no support for Backup Exec 12.5 images or later image versions.)

This means that if you should decide to move to NBU, you will have to keep a BE server and a tape device to accommodate restore requests.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It is possible that you can not import NDMP and VMware backups into NetBackup.
NetBackup 7.5 Administrator's Guide Volume I states as below.
---
NetBackup supports the capability to import and restore the following Backup
Exec backup types:
  • Windows
  • UNIX
  • Exchange
  • SQL
  • NetWare

---

It is better to ask your local resaller or Symantec sales rep for any alternative way for these backups and roadmap. Backup Exec tape reader will be out of support in next major release. i believe Symante have a plan to release any functionality that make possible to import/migrate BE images.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

See Backup Exec Tape Reader CL:    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125836

The CL states that only up to BE version 12 can be imported as well as the following:

Future Plans
There are no plans to improve or expand coverage beyond the current capabilities, nor support any images after Backup Exec 12.  (There is no support for Backup Exec 12.5 images or later image versions.)

This means that if you should decide to move to NBU, you will have to keep a BE server and a tape device to accommodate restore requests.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If possible note down retention of existing BE backups of VMware and NDMP and restore them in UAT etc .

Backup them again with NBU and apply relevant retention till date. Retention can be extended more precisely with NBU CLI

Above would increase infrastructure resource consumption but would keep everything under NBU rather than to managing both BE and NBU

Choice is yours  play it well ;)